The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2018, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NFHS equipment check

Here in Nebraska we are just getting ready for the high school softball season (NFHS.) How did everybody's first-year go where we do not have to check the equipment before games? Was there very much illegal equipment, etc, found in the course of the game?
Old Mon Aug 13, 2018, 06:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I had no issues with illegal bats or equipment this Spring. However, I seemed to have more players wearing rubber arm/wrist bands that necessitated team warnings even after asking the requisite, "Coaches, are your players legally equipped?" and reminding coaches & captains at the pregame meeting to be sure nobody was wearing any kind of jewelry.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Mon Aug 13, 2018 at 06:51pm.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2018, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Here in Nebraska we are just getting ready for the high school softball season (NFHS.) How did everybody's first-year go where we do not have to check the equipment before games? Was there very much illegal equipment, etc, found in the course of the game?
I did't see any illegal as such bats, just grips that were worn or torn.
The most common thing remains masks on catcher helmets missing screws or other damage.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2018, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I've also seen catcher's helmets missing screws in baseball. For softball, I have mostly seen catcher's shinguards coming undone.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2018, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I did't see any illegal as such bats, just grips that were worn or torn.
The most common thing remains masks on catcher helmets missing screws or other damage.
Saw one non-approved bat.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2018, 12:58pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Honestly, at least in my neck, I never encountered any issues with equipment. Coaches never challenged opposing teams, and, quite frankly, I really didn't go looking for violations.

My opinion, if NFHS doesn't want umpires to do pre-checks anymore, why should we bother looking while the game is in progress? I didn't think the pre-game checks were that big a deal to begin with. They didn't take long to do, especially after NFHS required teams to put equipment outside the dugouts. Why there were umpires out there whining about having to do them is beyond me.

Now, if I had come across something blatantly obvious, I would have stopped the game and directed it get taken care of. But I just didn't make it an effort to look for a missing screw on the catcher's helmet as she turned around to ask me a question or anything like that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Aug 28, 2018, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 3-2-12 says "Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types) or other hard cosmetic or decorative items." Some of my friends and I are debating whether or not “(including cloth or string types)” applies to just necklaces, as it would appear how the sentence is written, or to all jewelry. The issue is whether or not string and other bracelets that are not "hard cosmetic" are prohibited. Thoughts?
Old Tue Aug 28, 2018, 05:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
NFHS 3-2-12 says "Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types) or other hard cosmetic or decorative items." Some of my friends and I are debating whether or not “(including cloth or string types)” applies to just necklaces, as it would appear how the sentence is written, or to all jewelry. The issue is whether or not string and other bracelets that are not "hard cosmetic" are prohibited. Thoughts?

As someone who officiates NFHS basketball (and officiated NFHS soccer) and umpires NFHS baseball and softball and has friends who officiate NFHS football, volleyball, soccer, and swimming and diving. As far as the NFHS is concerned: No matter what the sport, no jewelry means no jewelry and the best definition of jewelry is: If you weren't born wearing it, it is jewelry.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Aug 28, 2018 at 06:31pm. Reason: Corrected grammar.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2018, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
As far as the NFHS is concerned: No matter what the sport, no jewelry means no jewelry and the best definition of jewelry is: If you weren't born wearing it, it is jewelry.

MTD, Sr.
I really do dislike that application. People are not born with braces on their teeth, eyeglasses on their face, or insulin pumps in their back pockets. We wouldn't disallow a fielder to wear sunglasses, even if they were adorned with rhinestones.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2018, 07:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I really do dislike that application. People are not born with braces on their teeth, eyeglasses on their face, or insulin pumps in their back pockets. We wouldn't disallow a fielder to wear sunglasses, even if they were adorned with rhinestones.

To quote Justice Potter Stewart: "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 28, 2018, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsumpntx View Post
We can pretty much always assume that rule books are poorly written and poorly edited; even when published by an education based organization.
I think you know the parentheses apply to all items and NFHS allows none of them.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2018, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Personally, I believe the NFHS' suggestion on jewelry is ludicrous and the absolute application beyond the scope of the organization.

JMHO
Old Wed Aug 29, 2018, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Why is jewelry prohibited in NFHS games anyway? I would understand if there are hard items that can be dangerous to another player, or rubber bands that can break opponents' fingers, but it makes no sense why a player cannot wear a watch.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2018, 12:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Why is jewelry prohibited in NFHS games anyway? I would understand if there are hard items that can be dangerous to another player, or rubber bands that can break opponents' fingers, but it makes no sense why a player cannot wear a watch.
And I would counter with, "Why in the world would a player want to wear a watch on the field in the first place??"

The rule is the rule. NFHS is pretty much absolute in its position on jewelry, and leaves nothing for interpretation because if it did, there would be so much inconsistency on what the umpires allow and disallow. Where I might think post earrings are of no real consequence, another umpire may have seen a player get seriously injured when a pitch hit her earflap and the post gouged her neck. So NFHS just says No to everything.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 29, 2018, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

I wondered why Irish Mafia would say that say that "NFHS' suggestion on jewelry is ludicrous" if there is a valid reason to not where jewelry. Maybe there are types of jewelry that are not dangerous, but NFHS is taking a very strict liability approach, similar to them not allowing traditional 2-piece separable helmet/mask combinations for catchers, so that they don't get sued. Perhaps the jewelry provisions are just a CYA thing.