The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Our local association has decided not to take the time to check equipment before the game and to cover responsibility of all equipment being legal by using a blanket statement in pre-game when asking coaches if " all players and equipment are according to rule" I am in disagreement and need some fuel for my fire so how do other associations handle this. Reasoning is that game times in our area are so early that some officials are only 10 to 15 min. early and think it will save time. Let me here some comments
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Umpires and Attornies

Quote:
Originally posted by kenabernathy
Our local association has decided not to take the time to check equipment before the game and to cover responsibility of all equipment being legal by using a blanket statement in pre-game when asking coaches if " all players and equipment are according to rule" I am in disagreement and need some fuel for my fire so how do other associations handle this. Reasoning is that game times in our area are so early that some officials are only 10 to 15 min. early and think it will save time. Let me here some comments
I umpired high school baseball in Nassau County on Long Island for six years but not during the past two seasons. I knew of no umpires who actually inspected the teams' equipment. Personally, I made it a point in the pre-game to ask the coaches if to the best of their knowledge all their players were legally and properly equipped. I required a verbal response on their part. I'm only an umpire and not an attorney so I can't profess to be expert as to potential liability for umpires in FED who do not check. I do think it pretty hard to be the only umpire or two in your association insisting on inspecting equipment. I sure wouldn't suggest doing the opposite, being the only ones who DON'T. Umpires really should be at the field 30 minutes before game time. Otherwise you cut it much too close if there is traffic, an accident etc. Jim/NYC
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

I also ump high school on Long Island (Eastern Suffolk)and our association instructs both umpires to check the equipment together before school games, not one does one team and the second ump does the other. In my first year doing travel, I learned that equipment is not checked. None of the summer leagues ask the umpires to inspect equipment. I perhaps have seen one maybe two umpires check. I am not sure what the liability is. Even after asking if the players are properly equipped, I have seen batters come to bat with big cracks in their helmets (they were removed, of course). However, the liability question needs to be answered.

Ed Hernandez
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by kenabernathy [/i]

Inspecting equipment does not take that much time. Here's what I do.

1. I ask the coaches to lay out all equipment that will be used in the game whether it belongs to the school or independently owned by the players.

2. I ask the coach to leave in the bus, etc. any equipment that will not be used This way I do not have to worry about it. I'm only concerned witnh equipment that will be in the game.

3. When all equipment is
"layed out , then perform the inspection. it doesn't take that long. The bats have to be minus 3 and the helmets have to have the NOCEA stamp on them. Also, any equipment that is cracked should be discarded.

The reason I say this as that FED rule 10-2-3A specifically states that the: The UIC shall inspect equipment and condition of field, receive batting order of both teams etc.

Since there is a specific rule governing inspection of equipment, then it behooves each umpire to comply. It doesn't take that long.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 08:02pm
Veteran College Umpire

As a FED rules interpreter in Illinois I emphasize at all my preseason meetings to the COACHES to have the equipment that is to be inspected in one area of the dugout so the umpires can quickly and effectively inspect the gear before the game. I also tell umpires that, if one arrives at the gamesite before the other, the one who is there MUST inspect the equipment. The FED orders us to inspect the equipment. Common sense should tell us all to do it to help cover our butts in a liability case - and you can bet it WILL happen somewhere!

BTW - in NCAA, if we DON'T inspect the equipment before the game, we are quickly rated way down or scratched from the conference altogether for not doing our jobs.

GBA
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Sad; but, true.....

re: "I also tell umpires that, if one arrives at the gamesite before the other, the one who is there MUST inspect the equipment."
I don't know as I like this idea; since, it leads to the same problem in the original post. So, say my partner gets to the game before me; and, when I arrive he says that he has checked the equipment and everything is just dandy.
Problem is, my partner is one of the "Slugs!" Now, come the middle of the 2nd inning, I am in "C" with a runner on 2nd. I look over at R2 and see a great big crack across the brim of his helmet.
So, who's A$$ do I start chewing? Probably the wrong one no doubt. Now, guess who just turned into the big dickhead of the day!
Better yet, how do I square things up with the "Slug" who started this mess?????
If equipment gets checked I do it with my partner; or, I make sure I do it myself. I'm not trusting my house to any "Slug!"
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Both umpires should enter the dugout together, one umpire takes the helmets the other the bats. This way if there are any questions or comments while checking the gear you have each others back.

Both dugouts should take no more than five minutes combined. Then head to the plate for the exchange of lineups at 10 minutes until game time.

Old Mon Feb 04, 2002, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hi, I think you are setting yourself up for uneeded grief. Not only will a piece of equipment most likely slip into the game without being noticed, I don't think you would be covered with just a statement at the plate if someone is injured with illegal equipment. If your association is like mine in NC, any changes to the rule book have to go through the State HS offices. I say err on the side of safety.

Good Luck,

Bake17