The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2018, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

INT after ball skips off F1

R1 on 2B. Grounder would have been directly to F6 (and easily avoided by R1), but was deflected by F1's glove. Ball passes behind an advancing R1, who collides with F6.
Pretty hard hit, so all this was pretty instantaneous.

I'm seeing the 8.7 rules dealing with getting hit with a deflected ball, but not runner/fielder collision....

INT? OBS?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2018, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
R1 on 2B. Grounder would have been directly to F6 (and easily avoided by R1), but was deflected by F1's glove. Ball passes behind an advancing R1, who collides with F6.
Pretty hard hit, so all this was pretty instantaneous.

I'm seeing the 8.7 rules dealing with getting hit with a deflected ball, but not runner/fielder collision....

INT? OBS?
If If If

The F1 deflection has nothing to do with anything except being struck by the ball.

The rest depend on F6 having a play, initial play, etc. Please detail.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2018, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Going to depend on rule set, nfhs a deflected ball by pitcher is still considered an initial play, in USA once the ball is deflected the runner must do something intentional to be called for interference.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2018, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

USA ruleset...

if not misdirected by F1's glove, the hard sinking liner (actually not a grounder), would've been in front of R1 (and avoidable). Deflected, it now passed behind the advancing R1, and F6 had to go through R1 to get to it.

In retrospect, I think if F6 took the correct angle, 50-50 chance she snags it..

At game speed, my OBS arm went out.

Soo... if you're saying judgement enters into this, I don't have to beat myself up over it.

If it's black and white INT, then *head slap*.

Last edited by jmkupka; Mon Jun 25, 2018 at 03:42pm.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2018, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
USA ruleset...

if not misdirected by F1's glove, the hard sinking liner (actually not a grounder), would've been in front of R1 (and avoidable). Deflected, it now passed behind the advancing R1, and F6 had to go through R1 to get to it.

In retrospect, I think if F6 took the correct angle, 50-50 chance she snags it..

At game speed, my OBS arm went out.

Soo... if you're saying judgement enters into this, I don't have to beat myself up over it.

If it's black and white INT, then *head slap*.
The only judgment to be made is whether the runner could have avoided F6 or not. And it is not a guess. You need to be sure the runner did something to interfere before making that call.