The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
NFHS pitcher's foot

The rule says the pivot foot must be ON or partially ON the top surface of the pitching plate. Either the toe, heel or entire foot MUST be ON or partially ON the pitching plate.

Technically, if the pivot foot toe is butted against the back of the plate or the heel is butted against the front, that is by rule illegal.

Call or no-call?
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

If you don't call it then you aren't enforcing the rule set you are officiating under. And you wont have much defense if a coach questions why you aren't enforcing the pitcher having their foot on the pitching plate.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The rule says the pivot foot must be ON or partially ON the top surface of the pitching plate. Either the toe, heel or entire foot MUST be ON or partially ON the pitching plate.

Technically, if the pivot foot toe is butted against the back of the plate or the heel is butted against the front, that is by rule illegal.

Call or no-call?
The green font is from the rule. The red font appears to be your interpolation.

You've stated a foot butted up against the back or front of the pitcher's plate is illegal.

And you're asking us if we'd ignore that and not call an illegal pitch.

Is that accurate?
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
The green font is from the rule. The red font appears to be your interpolation.

You've stated a foot butted up against the back or front of the pitcher's plate is illegal.

And you're asking us if we'd ignore that and not call an illegal pitch.

Is that accurate?
Yes.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 02:07pm
Stirrer of the Pot

"Coach, what other pitching rules would you like me to ignore because you feel they don't offer the pitcher any advantage? Shall I blow off when she steps on the plate with her hands together? What about if she separates them and decides to bring them back together? Oh, and surely when she steps back with her non-pivot foot and it lands outside the 24" lane, there can't possibly be any advantage gained there, right?"

Seriously, it's a pitching rule. God knows too many of us fail to enforce a lot of those violations already.

Now, if you can't tell that the pitcher has a small portion of her pivot foot overlapping the plate because it's slightly covered with dirt, or perhaps the plate is chewed up in front and no longer a straight 24" edge, I can see giving her the benefit of the doubt. But if it is crystal clear that she has no part of that foot on top of the plate, why give her a free pass?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

This is a question that only makes sense in message board land. If her foot is touching the plate then it is not clear from my distance that no part of her foot is above the plate. I make this call when I can see space.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

Call or no-call?
Call it. NFHS is the only major code that I work that only requires one foot on the pitching plate. If they have zero feet on the plate, it's an IP everytime.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 10:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This is a question that only makes sense in message board land. If her foot is touching the plate then it is not clear from my distance that no part of her foot is above the plate. I make this call when I can see space.
I'm able to see it quite clearly on some fields. Watch the pitcher warming up before the inning starts, and you'll see it. If it looks the same when she's actually pitching, call it. I've done it a few times, and I've never had a pitcher or coach complain that she was "on the plate" and I just couldn't tell.

Yes, the benefit of the doubt can be given to the pitcher when conditions aren't ideal so that you can see it. But if you can definitively tell, then letting it go because you don't "see space" between the foot and the plate is selective enforcement.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

OK, so we all agree, if you can see it for sure, call it.

Like any call, especially controversial, be sure, no OOO.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm able to see it quite clearly on some fields. Watch the pitcher warming up before the inning starts, and you'll see it. If it looks the same when she's actually pitching, call it. I've done it a few times, and I've never had a pitcher or coach complain that she was "on the plate" and I just couldn't tell.

Yes, the benefit of the doubt can be given to the pitcher when conditions aren't ideal so that you can see it. But if you can definitively tell, then letting it go because you don't "see space" between the foot and the plate is selective enforcement.
How good would a field have to be for you tell the difference between the foot being a 64th of inch over the pitching plate and being behind it by a 64th of an inch? I don't think I could tell that from 6 feet away on a permanent turf field and I have 20/15 vision.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2018, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have 20/15 vision.
I am so jealous.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How good would a field have to be for you tell the difference between the foot being a 64th of inch over the pitching plate and being behind it by a 64th of an inch? I don't think I could tell that from 6 feet away on a permanent turf field and I have 20/15 vision.
I do not agree. It's VERY easy to see if that foot is on top of the plate. If you cannot see it from behind the plate, the FU should have an easy bird's eye view of it from the side. Call it. I saw this very thing happen just a few nights ago. The pitcher's heal was just barely touching the front vertical surface of the mound at the beginning of her windup. By the time she delivered her pitch, that foot was easily 8 or 10 inches off the mound with her toe driving down hard in the dirt. I was coaching 1st and quietly mentioned it to the field umpire who did nothing.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 08:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I don't have a problem telling on fields that have actual 24" x 6" undamaged plates with no large holes behind or in front. All you're looking for is a noticeable gap between the heel and the rubber where you can see the dirt.

It's those fields where it's obvious that the pitching plate has been the same for a few years such that it's missing chunks on the front edge, and/or there's a 2- to 4-inch crater in front of it. With those conditions, that sliver of dirt you see between the heel and what's left of the front edge of the plate can and should be ignored.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
I do not agree. It's VERY easy to see if that foot is on top of the plate. If you cannot see it from behind the plate, the FU should have an easy bird's eye view of it from the side. Call it. I saw this very thing happen just a few nights ago. The pitcher's heal was just barely touching the front vertical surface of the mound at the beginning of her windup. By the time she delivered her pitch, that foot was easily 8 or 10 inches off the mound with her toe driving down hard in the dirt. I was coaching 1st and quietly mentioned it to the field umpire who did nothing.
/rant on

THERE ARE NO MOUNDS IN SOFTBALL!!!

/rant off
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
/rant on

THERE ARE NO MOUNDS IN SOFTBALL!!!

/rant off
LOL. Excuse me! Feel better now?