The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

New Hip anyone?

I know that there are several new knees on this board.......anyone ever invest in a new hip?

After a year or two of being sidelined.......I started swimming again last year and added bicycling to my activities. I thought I was on top of the world.......even thought about taking up running again.........and Bam.........stupid me biking and hit a rock and crashed........screwed up shoulder and hip.........................damn.

Starting to feel a bit better......but the orthopedist I am seeing has brought up the possibility of a hip replacement. Said with my arthritis that it could be a win/win.........(not a should......BTW).

Don't have the greatest of health insurance so it would be a bit costly......anyone with any suggestions I would welcome some outside input.

Second, third, fourth opinions from other Orthopedists? Keep on the same track and see if I can get back to where I was when feeling I was feeling good (swimming and biking when I am up to it)?

I do fairly well with pain using just Aspirin which makes me think that a new hip might be a bit premature.......but would appreciate any input that y'all might have.

Joel
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

I know of a couple of umpires who have had hip replacements. The recovery is long, but they're back on the field and doing well. It's a common issue among umpires and referees.

Get lots of opinions. I'd rather spend $200 on opinions and know what I'm getting into than to spend nothing at all and go in blindly.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I know of a couple of umpires who have had hip replacements. The recovery is long, but they're back on the field and doing well. It's a common issue among umpires and referees.

Get lots of opinions. I'd rather spend $200 on opinions and know what I'm getting into than to spend nothing at all and go in blindly.
I've heard just the opposite, that the recovery isn't as long as a knee. Maybe it all depends on what you are going to do afterwards.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I've heard just the opposite, that the recovery isn't as long as a knee. Maybe it all depends on what you are going to do afterwards.
Well, it's certainly a good number of months. One umpire I know had his hip done in April of last year, and was walking reasonably well by August or so. Don't know what his plans are for returning to the field, but that's another matter.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I have a few friends with new knees and have heard that the recovery for that is much longer than a hip. The only person I know who has had a hip done is my mother....and she is 79 and not super active these days......so not much help about getting back into outside activities.......

Joel
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Some of your recovery will inevitably depend upon how fit you are. I'm pushing 250 lbs, and my ankle going to take a bit longer to recover than if I weighed, say, 180. The two umpires I know who have had hip replacements are both below 200 pounds, which has aided tremendously in their recoveries post-surgery.

I've not met you in person, so take no offense in what I say. But if it's something you're seriously going to consider, you may want to make sure you're at a good weight before having it done.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
I know that there are several new knees on this board.......anyone ever invest in a new hip?

After a year or two of being sidelined.......I started swimming again last year and added bicycling to my activities. I thought I was on top of the world.......even thought about taking up running again.........and Bam.........stupid me biking and hit a rock and crashed........screwed up shoulder and hip.........................damn.

Starting to feel a bit better......but the orthopedist I am seeing has brought up the possibility of a hip replacement. Said with my arthritis that it could be a win/win.........(not a should......BTW).

Don't have the greatest of health insurance so it would be a bit costly......anyone with any suggestions I would welcome some outside input.

Second, third, fourth opinions from other Orthopedists? Keep on the same track and see if I can get back to where I was when feeling I was feeling good (swimming and biking when I am up to it)?

I do fairly well with pain using just Aspirin which makes me think that a new hip might be a bit premature.......but would appreciate any input that y'all might have.

Joel
I had my hip done in August 2008 (the day after the 12U Nationals ended). Actually, I had a procedure called "re-surfacing." It's actually more invasive, with a slightly longer recovery than a total hip replacement. The recovery was relatively easy. I was back on the field in two months. The hip was fine (but the quads were out of shape).
Old Mon Jan 10, 2011, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

I know 3 people that have had hip replacements. One is my mother who fell and broke hers, compained about it before and still complains about it, so dont put much weight on her opinion. As someone said earlier, she wasnt very active before, and is even worse now.

2 of the people I know are men in their late 50's to mid 60's. One of them walked very hunched over and took short shuffling steps when he walked. He actually had both hips replaced over the course of a year and last time I saw him he was standing much more upright and taking much more normal length steps.

The other man I know was a high school basketball coach and had his hip replaced about 2 years ago. Both men said now that it was over, if they had known how much better they would feel they wouldnt have waited so long to have it done.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
The old man has had both hips done (the knee is coming) in his late 50s (10+ years ago). The first hip was flawless, recovery was steady and he was back on the field in a few months and 100% by 9 months. The second hip had a complication, turns out the socket was installed rotated forward very slightly. The problem was that if he bent then rotated, he could pop it out, and did so, at least three times. Each incident meant starting over with rehab. This covered the better part of five years and is the only reason he stopped all involvement in officiating (also worked football).

Based on the results of the first procedure, I would suggest it is well worth it. I watched the old man go from an old 55 to a rejuvinated 56. Unfortunately, everything comes with a risk. Now the poor sob is just old...
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

This is an old thread, but its relevance is certainly new to me.

Labor Day weekend I was working a slow pitch tournament and scheduled for 4 games on Saturday. After the first game, my hip started bothering me, particularly when standing up after brushing the plate. By the 3rd game, catchers were clearing the plate for me, and I got someone else to work my last game.

I have arthritis pretty much everywhere and x-rays revealed that I have an impingement problem in my left hip. I cannot take anti-inflammatory medication for other reasons. I asked about arthroscopic surgery to clean up the bone growth causing the problem(s) but the degenerative condition of the joint and my age (65) would not provide a workable solution.

I had cortisone injections in both hips 10 days ago and this has provided substantial relief. My fear is that this is basically masking the problem and not resolving it. Hip replacement was mentioned as a possibility/probability. Cortisone only lasts so long and a body may see shorter benefit from future injections over time.

I am thankful this didn't hit me either just before or during my National this past summer.

I'm wondering if I should try getting the hip replacement over with now (soon) so hopefully be ready to be on the field by mid-April for the start of HS season. Is that even realistic?

I'd be happy to hear of any recent experiences from forum members or their families and friends. You may send me a private message if that better suits you.

Thanx.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
This is an old thread, but its relevance is certainly new to me.

Labor Day weekend I was working a slow pitch tournament and scheduled for 4 games on Saturday. After the first game, my hip started bothering me, particularly when standing up after brushing the plate. By the 3rd game, catchers were clearing the plate for me, and I got someone else to work my last game.

I have arthritis pretty much everywhere and x-rays revealed that I have an impingement problem in my left hip. I cannot take anti-inflammatory medication for other reasons. I asked about arthroscopic surgery to clean up the bone growth causing the problem(s) but the degenerative condition of the joint and my age (65) would not provide a workable solution.

I had cortisone injections in both hips 10 days ago and this has provided substantial relief. My fear is that this is basically masking the problem and not resolving it. Hip replacement was mentioned as a possibility/probability. Cortisone only lasts so long and a body may see shorter benefit from future injections over time.

I am thankful this didn't hit me either just before or during my National this past summer.

I'm wondering if I should try getting the hip replacement over with now (soon) so hopefully be ready to be on the field by mid-April for the start of HS season. Is that even realistic?

I'd be happy to hear of any recent experiences from forum members or their families and friends. You may send me a private message if that better suits you.

Thanx.
When I had my knee done, doctor said give it a year before any strenuous activity. I worked a couple games after 7 months and still didn't feel comfortable with all the lateral movement
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 11:37am
wife loves the goatee...

ouch...

One thing I have heard from replacement patients is that the younger they were, the better condition they were in and the harder they worked at rehab made a HUGE difference.... kinda obvious when I think about it.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
experienced

About 90% of the outcome depends on you surgeon. Many orthopedic guys do knee and hip replacements as well as arms, legs, shoulders or what ever else you need. Look for the best Dr. you can find that only does the joints that need help. I have two new knees and one new hip. Second knee and hip came after retirement but with first was back on the field in two months with no problem. Trust me, the hip is not as much recovery as the knee and there is much less therapy to do. In my case I knew I had the best Doctor.
BTW, if you have a hip joint going bad the pain will be a burning in your groin much more than just your hip.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Updating: I finally took the plunge and opted for a total hip replacement, anterior method. My surgery took place 11-28-17, so I'm about 11 days post-surgery.

I was discharged the day after surgery after doing some short walks around the ward with a walker. I was sent home with the walker, a pair of crutches, and a cane (which I'm not supposed to use yet).

I was given some oxycodone to be supplemented with Tylenol. Had a few other drugs to take to help with nerve pain, constipation, and urination.

The pain level for the first week was tough. I've had visiting nurses come to my house along with Occupational and Physical Therapists. My dressing was changed once and will be checked again next week to see if I'll be able to just let the incision "air out".

My right leg is still quite swollen and I have significant bruising along my backside. I'm required to wear "TED" stockings during the day to help prevent blood clots. Thank goodness my wife helps me with those as I don't think I'd be able to handle those on my own. Same with showering - I can't reach below my waist much to wash/dry.

I have about a half-dozen exercises they gave me to work. Amazing that I'm not even able to lift my right foot up following surgery. I have to "wake up" various muscles and re-train them to do what they're supposed to do.

My first follow-up with the doctor is 12-27. Pain is getting more tolerable. Worst right now is the right quad which is a burning sensation whenever I flex it.

I'll update as I go along. If anyone has a question, you can post it here or send me a PM.

My target for return to the field is mid-April which is when our HS season starts. I would have preferred another couple of weeks buffer, but we'll go from here.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 01:55pm. Reason: sp
Old Thu Dec 14, 2017, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

I had my dressing checked earlier this week. Incision looked good, no swelling, redness, or heat coming from the wound.

Working the exercises, some tougher than others. I swear I have to try my good leg on some exercises to convince my brain that my body can actually do those "simple" motions. Trying to do them with the operative leg is quite difficult.

Today I was told I could ambulate about the house with a cane instead of the walker. Not to do stairs or go outside yet without the walker, but my gait seems positive enough to progress to the cane. Outside is not quite safe yet around here. We've had some snow and freezing rain, so I'm sticking the the warm and safe areas.

Still taking the pain-killers, but at a somewhat reduced rate.

Progressing slowly...