Thread: New Hip anyone?
View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Updating: I finally took the plunge and opted for a total hip replacement, anterior method. My surgery took place 11-28-17, so I'm about 11 days post-surgery.

I was discharged the day after surgery after doing some short walks around the ward with a walker. I was sent home with the walker, a pair of crutches, and a cane (which I'm not supposed to use yet).

I was given some oxycodone to be supplemented with Tylenol. Had a few other drugs to take to help with nerve pain, constipation, and urination.

The pain level for the first week was tough. I've had visiting nurses come to my house along with Occupational and Physical Therapists. My dressing was changed once and will be checked again next week to see if I'll be able to just let the incision "air out".

My right leg is still quite swollen and I have significant bruising along my backside. I'm required to wear "TED" stockings during the day to help prevent blood clots. Thank goodness my wife helps me with those as I don't think I'd be able to handle those on my own. Same with showering - I can't reach below my waist much to wash/dry.

I have about a half-dozen exercises they gave me to work. Amazing that I'm not even able to lift my right foot up following surgery. I have to "wake up" various muscles and re-train them to do what they're supposed to do.

My first follow-up with the doctor is 12-27. Pain is getting more tolerable. Worst right now is the right quad which is a burning sensation whenever I flex it.

I'll update as I go along. If anyone has a question, you can post it here or send me a PM.

My target for return to the field is mid-April which is when our HS season starts. I would have preferred another couple of weeks buffer, but we'll go from here.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 01:55pm. Reason: sp