Thread: New Hip anyone?
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
This is an old thread, but its relevance is certainly new to me.

Labor Day weekend I was working a slow pitch tournament and scheduled for 4 games on Saturday. After the first game, my hip started bothering me, particularly when standing up after brushing the plate. By the 3rd game, catchers were clearing the plate for me, and I got someone else to work my last game.

I have arthritis pretty much everywhere and x-rays revealed that I have an impingement problem in my left hip. I cannot take anti-inflammatory medication for other reasons. I asked about arthroscopic surgery to clean up the bone growth causing the problem(s) but the degenerative condition of the joint and my age (65) would not provide a workable solution.

I had cortisone injections in both hips 10 days ago and this has provided substantial relief. My fear is that this is basically masking the problem and not resolving it. Hip replacement was mentioned as a possibility/probability. Cortisone only lasts so long and a body may see shorter benefit from future injections over time.

I am thankful this didn't hit me either just before or during my National this past summer.

I'm wondering if I should try getting the hip replacement over with now (soon) so hopefully be ready to be on the field by mid-April for the start of HS season. Is that even realistic?

I'd be happy to hear of any recent experiences from forum members or their families and friends. You may send me a private message if that better suits you.

Thanx.
When I had my knee done, doctor said give it a year before any strenuous activity. I worked a couple games after 7 months and still didn't feel comfortable with all the lateral movement