The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2018, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Another case of one UIC wanting one thing and a different wanting something else. Last national school I went to we were told to give a swoosh signal or whatever you want to call it if the defebder was off the bag. The only difference was, our state staff had initially told us to give the off the bag signal first and then give the safe signal, otherwise they felt it looked like making an excuse for the safe call. National staff told us they wanted the safe signal first and then the off the bag signal and announcement.
Odd that a national camp staff would give you advice on a non-approved signal (tongue firmly in cheek). FWIW, any additional signal, whether point or anything else, should be given before the out/safe signal in any case, IMO. I agree that any signal after the out/safe does in fact look like an "excuse" signal. Always finish with a textbook out/safe.

I love how threads diverge on this forum. It speaks to the depth of our avocation. To go back to a comment made on my original situation (missed tag at 2B, followed by an overslide): What is the preferred mechanic here? I waited until the whole play finished before signalling. Anyone prefer a "no-tag" signal (maybe with a point) earlier in the overslide? ... Or does this risk a double-signal safe-out?!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Old School

In a recent basketball thread, someone quoted J. Dallas Shirley: "Never say never and never say always."
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I've come to regard the "hula swoosh" in the same light as the baseball called strike.

When I see someone do it, I think they must be baseball guys. Depending upon my relationship with said partners, I might ask them about it after the game.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
When I see someone do it, I think they must be baseball guys. Depending upon my relationship with said partners, I might ask them about it after the game.
And I think more of a football official
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
To go back to a comment made on my original situation (missed tag at 2B, followed by an overslide): What is the preferred mechanic here? I waited until the whole play finished before signalling. Anyone prefer a "no-tag" signal (maybe with a point) earlier in the overslide? ... Or does this risk a double-signal safe-out?!
Let a continuous play finish until there is a resolution and only then make your call. I do not believe you can compare it to the missed plate/missed tag mechanics (assuming that lack of continuous action) as once that runner scores, they are no longer a runner and an appeal is required, live or dead.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Another case of one UIC wanting one thing and a different wanting something else. Last national school I went to we were told to give a swoosh signal or whatever you want to call it if the defebder was off the bag. The only difference was, our state staff had initially told us to give the off the bag signal first and then give the safe signal, otherwise they felt it looked like making an excuse for the safe call. National staff told us they wanted the safe signal first and then the off the bag signal and announcement.
This didn't use to happen, but has devolved over the years. IMO, many more "instructors" have been carrying personal preference into the clinics and tournaments as opposed to the prescribed mechanics.

And I'm still checking the manual for an "off the bag" signal
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And I'm still checking the manual for an "off the bag" signal
I see your smilie. But if anyone is wondering about the actual wording in the manual, it's this:

c. After obtaining your angle on the play at 1B and there is a possible
pulled foot, move with the play to keep an unobstructed view. A
slight adjustment can put you in a better position to see the foot off
the base. If the fielder pulls their foot, point with your left hand and
say “OFF THE BASE” and give a strong “safe” signal and a clear
“SAFE” call.

No "hula swoosh" need apply...
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 12:46pm
Retired but coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Let a continuous play finish until there is a resolution and only then make your call. I do not believe you can compare it to the missed plate/missed tag mechanics (assuming that lack of continuous action) as once that runner scores, they are no longer a runner and an appeal is required, live or dead.
I can't believe this thread is making me come out of lurking mode.

Everyone is safe until I called them out. Safe means they still have a possibility of being out (stepping/falling off the bag) so i delay it slightly longer than my out call (which I am sure of when I make it).

I had a habit (from the 80s) where I would shake my head "no" during swipe tags that missed, but I didn't do safe calls until the runner holds the bag (even the continuous tagging by the fielder to an unbalanced runner - unless pushed off).

I also visit Hawaii but I don't dance. I will give a small sweep to help "sell" that I know exactly what happened so I am clear to coaches and fans who can't hear what I say during crowd roars.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
I will give a small sweep to help "sell" that I know exactly what happened so I am clear to coaches and fans who can't hear what I say during crowd roars.
"Hula Swoosher!"
Old Fri Mar 23, 2018, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Does anyone also have a GESTURE for "runner beat it"; the other way of being safe?
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Maybe I've never been called out on it because I don't do a full Hula Swoosh. My signal is a "push" away from the base, not a giant sweep. (People who have worked with me can let me know if this signal is bigger than I think it is....Andy, I'm looking at you.) ............
I remember that you had a couple of these calls this past weekend, but I don't recall any signals or gestures that I thought were concerning. I actually remember you using the point, but don't recall anything else.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I remember that you had a couple of these calls this past weekend, but I don't recall any signals or gestures that I thought were concerning. I actually remember you using the point, but don't recall anything else.
BREAKING NEWS!

Teebob gets the point.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
BREAKING NEWS!

Teebob gets the point.
??? What are you saying?

Edit: Ah. [golfclap] Well played. Excellent pun, sir.