The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Time of Interference

Took an NCAA test last night... answered this one as true:

R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B. 1 out. B3 grounds to F6, toss to F5 at 2B, R2 interferes with the throw to 1B. Speedy R1 crosses the plate before the interference occurs. The run counts.

Asked moderator afterward, he said my answer is correct. Runner scored before TOI.

Later, I'm thinking, if R1 is no longer runner closest to home (for purposes of retired runner INT), B3 is. If B3 is the 3rd out, how can any runs score?

Or am I not thinking this through?

Last edited by jmkupka; Fri Nov 03, 2017 at 08:48am.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 08:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

The penalty is that runners return to their bases at the time of interference, but the BR is placed on first base safely. You don’t return the BR to the plate to bat if she was still short of first base at the TOI.

So the out on B3 at first base becomes a penalty out after she had legally attained the base. It’s not an out before she reached it. So the run would score.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Do not believe you are overthinking it. Assuming the BR did not reach 1B prior to the INT, no runs should score:

NCAA 2017

6.2.3 No run shall be scored if the third out of an inning is the result of:

6.2.3.1 A batter-runner being called out before reaching first base or any other base runner forced out because of the batter becoming a batter-runner.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Took an NCAA test last night... answered this one as true:

R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B. 1 out. B3 grounds to F6, toss to F5 at 2B, R2 interferes with the throw to 1B. Speedy R1 crosses the plate before the interference occurs. The run counts.

Asked moderator afterward, he said my answer is correct. Runner scored before TOI.

Later, I'm thinking, if R1 is no longer runner closest to home (for purposes of retired runner INT), B3 is. If B3 is the 3rd out, how can any runs score?

Or am I not thinking this through?

R2 interfering with an attempted play on B3/BR at 1st implies that B3/BR had not reached 1st at the TOI.
Is the BR out at the instant of INT? That seems correct, which would mean third out by BR, no run.

Edit for disclaimer: I never answer as NCAA rule.

Last edited by CecilOne; Fri Nov 03, 2017 at 09:07am.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Manny interp:
That was my rationale.

Irish/Cecil interp:
With 0 outs at the beginning of the play, R1 would score (vs. being returned to 3B).
With 1 out at the beginning of the play, no run would score.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

IMO, as a matter of priority, the runner closest to home is ruled out prior to base assignments

12.8.7 When, after being declared out or after scoring, a runner interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner.
12.8.8 When a coach, while in the coach’s box, intentionally interferes with a thrown ball or interferes with the defensive team’s opportunity to make a play on a runner. Note: If a thrown ball accidentally touches an offensive coach in foul territory, the ball is live and in play.
12.8.9 When the offensive coach near third base runs in the direction of home plate on or near the baseline while a fielder is attempting to make a play on a batted or thrown ball, and draws a throw to home plate.
EFFECT—(12.8.7 to 12.8.9)—The ball is dead. The runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be declared out. Each runner not forced by the batter-runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
IMO, as a matter of priority, the runner closest to home is ruled out prior to base assignments

12.8.7 When, after being declared out or after scoring, a runner interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner.
12.8.8 When a coach, while in the coach’s box, intentionally interferes with a thrown ball or interferes with the defensive team’s opportunity to make a play on a runner. Note: If a thrown ball accidentally touches an offensive coach in foul territory, the ball is live and in play.
12.8.9 When the offensive coach near third base runs in the direction of home plate on or near the baseline while a fielder is attempting to make a play on a batted or thrown ball, and draws a throw to home plate.
EFFECT—(12.8.7 to 12.8.9)—The ball is dead. The runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be declared out. Each runner not forced by the batter-runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference.
"at the time of the interference " being important.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do NCAA, either.

But I think the timing of the INT does factor greatly here.

Had the runner not yet touched HP at the time of the INT, that runner would be out. The batter runner would have gained first base, albeit a moot point since the inning would be over. But that runner would have been considered a "left on base".

Since the runner scored prior to the INT, I think the run would count. Now we're looking for the next runner closest to home to call out due to the INT by a retired runner. That runner is now the batter who has reached first base. In this case, run scores there are now 3 outs, and no runners LOB.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Very difficult to reconcile the fact that there is no BR on 1B because she is the 3rd out, and a run is being allowed to score.

p.s. Is TOI not also the rule in the other rulesets?

p.p.s Right now, my only concern is a "Correct!" on my exam.

Last edited by jmkupka; Fri Nov 03, 2017 at 01:22pm.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

If BR had already reached 1st at TOI (as well as R1 has already reached home), what play has R2 interfered with?? Doesn't there have to be a play on someone to have an interference call?

Well, if there was a play, then BR is ruled out (irrespective of the timing of the announcement) effectively at the TOI, too, along with the dead ball at that instant, making the BR unable to reach the base; and hasn't reached first base safely.

Is this substantially different than the BR missing first base, and that appeal being the resultant third out well after R2 scored?

Unless it was Vickie or John Bennett as moderator, I believe your mod was wrong, too.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very difficult to reconcile the fact that there is no BR on 1B because she is the 3rd out, and a run is being allowed to score.
Is that a "fact" anywhere besides the test key?

Is it a bad question, set up to make one point but ignoring another?
I don't remember my NCAA tests, but that happens all the time on others, especially NFHS.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Also had one where "Batter gets hit with a pickoff throw to 1B while out of the BB, and ball ricochets into DBT. R1 is returned to 1B. This is the correct call."

Um, yes, it's the correct call, but something else happens here too!
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Does it change anything if we add a runner at 2nd? In that case the BR would be awarded 1st, but I still don't think this run is meant to score.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also had one where "Batter gets hit with a pickoff throw to 1B while out of the BB, and ball ricochets into DBT. R1 is returned to 1B. This is the correct call."

Um, yes, it's the correct call, but something else happens here too!
I think this needs a separate thread, especially after seeing youngump's response
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 03:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Does it change anything if we add a runner at 2nd? In that case the BR would be awarded 1st, but I still don't think this run is meant to score.
Well, if the bases were loaded, then the out at second base removes the force from R2. So her out for being the closest to home would be a timing play, not a force play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker