The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Dead ball/Look back

Although I did not see the following situation I was asked about it. Batter was hit by a pitch, went to first base, stepped off the base and was called out per the Look Back Rule. I asked if the umpire had called or signalled to play. This was unknown. I explained that if the ball was still dead, then no out. If, however, the umpire had already signalled or told the pitcher to pitch, there was an out. Just looking for some reinforcement here. BTW, there is no heated argument going on. Just discussion of situations and what was, could have, should have been done. What say ya'll?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
Although I did not see the following situation I was asked about it. Batter was hit by a pitch, went to first base, stepped off the base and was called out per the Look Back Rule. I asked if the umpire had called or signalled to play. This was unknown. I explained that if the ball was still dead, then no out. If, however, the umpire had already signalled or told the pitcher to pitch, there was an out. Just looking for some reinforcement here. BTW, there is no heated argument going on. Just discussion of situations and what was, could have, should have been done. What say ya'll?
Nothing happens when the ball is dead (I know, appeals and awards).
The umpire signaling or calling is not needed if the pitcher now has the ball, batter in box, etc.
However, like a foul ball, the runner must have the opportunity to take the base after a dead ball play.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Like Cecil said....timing is everything here.

How often have we had a batter HBP, s/he makes it down to first base, then needs to "walk it off"? Any violation here...of course not, it's a dead ball.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

The ball is dead until made live; NFHS and NCAA actually require a point, gesture, or verbalize "play" to signify the ball is now live. However, as a matter of routine, many will recognize when all conditions to make the ball live have been met (pitcher on the pitching plate, catcher ready to receive a pitch, batter in the box and ready, runners ready, umpire ready to call a pitch) that the signal or verbalization may be redundant, and the umpire's actions as ready are sufficient.

The NFHS requirement was added a few years back when a set of umpires ruled that, after a foul ball, when the ball was retrieved and overthrown past the pitcher that the foul ball had ended and runners could advance at their own risk. The story at the time suggested that a very highly regarded individual from San Antonio agreed with that interpretation in support of the umpires, and suggested there was no rule that specifically contradicted that ruling.

As pretty much everyone else understood the intent that the ball remains dead until it is MADE live, the ruling evolved to direct the obvious gesture (point or beckon) and/or verbalization. It sounds like this OP may be a similar FUBAR by someone without any understanding of the concepts.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The ball is dead until made live; NFHS and NCAA actually require a point, gesture, or verbalize "play" to signify the ball is now live. However, as a matter of routine, many will recognize when all conditions to make the ball live have been met (pitcher on the pitching plate, catcher ready to receive a pitch, batter in the box and ready, runners ready, umpire ready to call a pitch) that the signal or verbalization may be redundant, and the umpire's actions as ready are sufficient.

The NFHS requirement was added a few years back when a set of umpires ruled that, after a foul ball, when the ball was retrieved and overthrown past the pitcher that the foul ball had ended and runners could advance at their own risk. The story at the time suggested that a very highly regarded individual from San Antonio agreed with that interpretation in support of the umpires, and suggested there was no rule that specifically contradicted that ruling.

As pretty much everyone else understood the intent that the ball remains dead until it is MADE live, the ruling evolved to direct the obvious gesture (point or beckon) and/or verbalization. It sounds like this OP may be a similar FUBAR by someone without any understanding of the concepts.
Thanks for the reminder that this is an NCAA requirement...for some reason, I thought this was only explicitly required in Fed ball or baseball. Nope...it's right there in the CCA manual in the Plate Umpire section. You know, the part with the basics that I've skimmed over 80 times.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Can someone post the look back rule text from the USA softball rule book?
Thanks.