The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 16, 2017, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

HBP: Swing or no swing?

Example MLB video clip: https://www.mlb.com/video/servais-ge...h/c-1734358283

Do the actions of the batter AFTER being hit by pitch play into our decision on a check swing? IMO this is a correct no-swing under softball rules: the batter was not striking at the ball before being hit, and the ball became dead. The wrists had not broken, the bat was not over the plate, and the barrel had not crossed the foul line....none of these are official swing criteria, but those are the things I look for. Had the batter not been hit, I'd have probably ruled the follow-through motion as a swing attempt, but I can see he only swung forward because he knew he'd been hit.

Last edited by teebob21; Wed Aug 16, 2017 at 11:19pm.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I have had situations much as you describe where the batter, who is trying to avoid the pitched ball, has the bat come around and look like a swing, but it is more of a defensive move. It's one of those "I know it when you see it" things and hard to describe.

That being said, in the video presented, I would have ruled a swing. I don't think the batter being hit by the pitch is what caused the bat to come around. If he had not been hit, it seems unlikely that he would have been able to check his swing.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have had situations much as you describe where the batter, who is trying to avoid the pitched ball, has the bat come around and look like a swing, but it is more of a defensive move. It's one of those "I know it when you see it" things and hard to describe.

That being said, in the video presented, I would have ruled a swing. I don't think the batter being hit by the pitch is what caused the bat to come around. If he had not been hit, it seems unlikely that he would have been able to check his swing.
Same. +1

You said "the barrel had not crossed the foul line". For years (OK, decades) I used that as one criteria, but realized as I worked higher levels that I was missing a lot of swings/strikes. What made me change was the number of balls that I saw actually being hit (and FAIR) with the bat not yet to the point I considered calling it a swing. But that HAS to be a swing if it can hit a fair ball, the bat is obviously into the hitting area. A barrel to the foul line would not only hit the ball, but has advanced thru the hitting area to pull the ball foul, even. I believe I was giving the batters too much and taking from the pitchers.

I have realigned my process to think in terms of "Did the bat enter the hitting zone?", as well as if the ball hit the bat, whether intended to hold up or not, "Would that have hit a fair ball opposite field?". If yes, that's a swing.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Same. +1

You said "the barrel had not crossed the foul line". For years (OK, decades) I used that as one criteria, but realized as I worked higher levels that I was missing a lot of swings/strikes. What made me change was the number of balls that I saw actually being hit (and FAIR) with the bat not yet to the point I considered calling it a swing. But that HAS to be a swing if it can hit a fair ball, the bat is obviously into the hitting area. A barrel to the foul line would not only hit the ball, but has advanced thru the hitting area to pull the ball foul, even. I believe I was giving the batters too much and taking from the pitchers.

I have realigned my process to think in terms of "Did the bat enter the hitting zone?", as well as if the ball hit the bat, whether intended to hold up or not, "Would that have hit a fair ball opposite field?". If yes, that's a swing.
Interesting situation.
I agree with both replies above. However, I think the point being made is the ball was already dead on the hit batter prior to the "swing."
Is there an interpretation that allows post HBP action to come into play?
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Believe the foul line as an indicator to be inconsistent as it depends on where the batter is standing, or even running in the box.

You talk to 20 umpires and you are quite likely to get 20 different tips on what they look for as an indicator. I've always tried to not overthink it and simply rely on my judgment based on what my eyes tell my brain what just happened.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2017, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Example MLB video clip: https://www.mlb.com/video/servais-ge...h/c-1734358283

Do the actions of the batter AFTER being hit by pitch play into our decision on a check swing? IMO this is a correct no-swing under softball rules: the batter was not striking at the ball before being hit, and the ball became dead. The wrists had not broken, the bat was not over the plate, and the barrel had not crossed the foul line....none of these are official swing criteria, but those are the things I look for. Had the batter not been hit, I'd have probably ruled the follow-through motion as a swing attempt, but I can see he only swung forward because he knew he'd been hit.
This seems to have mostly turned into a discussion on checked swings. Let me take a shot at your main question. Being hit during a swing does not turn that swing into a checked swing just because the bat hadn't come around yet. I think as an umpire you have to judge was he swinging or did he swing because he just got hit with the ball. (The latter in the video).