The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 07:49pm
Administrator

Little League Team Disqualification.

Mark, Jr., and I do not umpire LL Softball, so we have a question: Is it illegal for a base runner to steal signals and relay them to the batter?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Aug 06, 2017, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently little league has made it illegal, no other rule set has any such rule.

Have no idea if there is any video of the game, there are people claiming it was the umpires imagination the signs were being stolen and what they were seeing was nothing more than the runners normal routine. You are aware that was not the team that was disqualified?
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Apparently little league has made it illegal, no other rule set has any such rule.

Have no idea if there is any video of the game, there are people claiming it was the umpires imagination the signs were being stolen and what they were seeing was nothing more than the runners normal routine. You are aware that was not the team that was disqualified?

How do they know they were stealing anything?
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Wow. I googled it and quickly found this right on the official Little League website. Talk about foreshadowing.......

"Stealing and Relaying of Pitch Selection and Location

Starting in 2017, local league umpires will have the option to adopt the rule that the stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game. The same rule will be mandated during tournament play."
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
Wow. I googled it and quickly found this right on the official Little League website. Talk about foreshadowing.......

"Stealing and Relaying of Pitch Selection and Location

Starting in 2017, local league umpires will have the option to adopt the rule that the stealing and relaying of signs to alert the batter of pitch selection and/or location is unsportsmanlike behavior. If, in the judgment of the umpire, this behavior is occurring, both the player and the manager may be ejected from the game. The same rule will be mandated during tournament play."
"umpires will have the option" ??????????

That sounds straightforward and non-controversial.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Of course, defense has no problem yelling "GOING!" on a steal... I feel that gives their teammates an unfair advantage.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Mark, Jr., and I do not umpire LL Softball, so we have a question: Is it illegal for a base runner to steal signals and relay them to the batter?

MTD, Sr.
No team was disqualified for sign stealing. A player and coach were ejected.

There was a different team disqualified because a group of its players fingered the opposition and posted a picture of them doing it.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
How do they know they were stealing anything?
It's pretty obvious at the lever where it happened.

Stupid rule. Umpire's discretion. We hope it will get re-thought.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
"umpires will have the option" ??????????

That sounds straightforward and non-controversial.
Lol. True. But the last sentence says "The same rule will be mandated during tournament play." So I'm guessing it was in place for the world series, and I'd almost bet a big emphasis was placed on it. And actually what I posted was just simply a press release type statement telling us about the rule. That's not the actual wording of the rule.

I personally have never caught an opposing player stealing our signs, but I've definitely caught opposing coaches doing it. One lady was coaching first, and I noticed the same little instructional sentences to her batters. It was a code indicating which pitch was being called. I started having fun with it. I'd call the pitch, and then literally say her sentence for her. Her face turned blood red, and she shut up. It was awesome.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

It is a stupid rule that just kills the integrity of the game.

OTOH, LL shouldn't be involved in the game of softball to begin.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
OTOH, LL shouldn't be involved in the game of softball to begin.
Please explain !!

Probably more games for those of us who don't umpire LL, if all were in travel ball; but I'm curious about your reasons.
Is it because they can't get it out of the baseball minds?
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

The tragedy of the whole situation is the realization of the damage a social media post can do nowadays. Once it's on the internet, it can never really be taken down. The six girls who decided to raise their middle finger in that picture will be forever linked to it. And, make no mistake, considering their age and obvious talent level, at least a handful of them were probably beginning to show up on the radars of future college coaches. Probably not after this......
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

People think they can post anything they want on the internet and there will be no repercussions. I have seen several comments claiming it is free speech and the players had every right to post it. Yes, freedom of speech means they can pretty much say or do anything they want but it does not mean they will not face penalties for their actions. You can say anything you want about your boss on facebook, does not mean they have to retain you as an employee.

My daughters college team had a freshman come in that was very active in posting on facebook, twitter etc. She was posting negative things about the coaches, players etc. Coach called her in, had a discussion with her and explained in no uncertain terms the negative posts would cease immediately. She promptly walked out of the meeting with the coach and posted about how no coach was going to tell her what she could and could not post on social media.

Just so happened the team was flying out that day for a tournament. The girls parents had already left and were driving to the tournament which was several states away. The team drove to the airport in the team bus and as the girls got off the bus they handed them their airline tickets. When said girl got of the plane they told her she had no ticket and would not be traveling with the team. Yes, she was free to post and say anything she wanted, the coach was also free to leave her behind.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 11:40am
Administrator

Quote:
No team was disqualified for sign stealing. A player and coach were ejected.

There was a different team disqualified because a group of its players fingered the opposition and posted a picture of them doing it.

I know that. I was refering to the semi-final game in which the team that won was then disqualified for off field action. But its opponent had a player and coach ejected during the semi-final game for stealing signals.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 11:43am
Administrator

Quote:

After reading a some posts it seems to me that we had a post about this same signal stealing rule earlier in the season and many umpires including MTD, Jr., and myself included that it was a very stupid rule. If you do not want your signals stolen, then do a better job of hiding them or change them.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio