The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

In my town we had 2 13-15 year old teams to start with. Now at the end of the season our team has 9 players and the other team has 8. They have combined the teams to make 1 team. Is this legal to have 17 players on 1 team? Also is there a mandatory play rule in this age group.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harpp
In my town we had 2 13-15 year old teams to start with. Now at the end of the season our team has 9 players and the other team has 8. They have combined the teams to make 1 team. Is this legal to have 17 players on 1 team? Also is there a mandatory play rule in this age group.
If you started with two teams and now have only one, who does that team play? There is only one.

I don't believe the players become legal until they reach 18 yr old, therefore you have 17 illegal players, most likely playing on a legal team.

Yes it is mandatory for players to play in order to have a game, but in your case because you only have one team , who are they going to play?

Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Let me explain more clearly we had 2 teams on teh Army post we live. We play teams from 3 other towns surrounding the post. I did not say that we had 17 year olds on the team. I said we had 17 players. i thought you could only have between 12-15 players on a team in cal ripken/babe ruth league.
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: reply

Quote:
Let me explain more clearly we had 2 teams on teh Army post we live. We play teams from 3 other towns surrounding the post. I did not say that we had 17 year olds on the team. I said we had 17 players. i thought you could only have between 12-15 players on a team in cal ripken/babe ruth league.
You may get more help from this.

http://www.baberuthleague.org/
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not supposed to be more than 15 players on a 13-15 team, but then again, not supposed to be able to take two teams and combine them to make one team at the end of season. Consult with your District Commissioner. There is no mandatory play in any Babe Ruth age group, although many leagues implement their own mandatory play rules.

Old Sun Jul 11, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

re: Number on a 13-15 BR League team

In reply to:

"In my town we had 2 13-15 year old teams to start with. Now at the end of the season our team has 9 players and the other team has 8. They have combined the teams to make 1 team. Is this legal to have 17 players on 1 team? Also is there a mandatory play rule in this age group."

No, you may only have 15 players on one team.

Actually, for a combined team of 15, this could have been handled earlier in the season, within the Babe Ruth rules by submitting an add/drop form by June 30th. What occurs is that you in essence disband one team, dropping members, and add some of the other members to the other team. You must show, however, that all members of the team has played 50% of the games (at least 10 usually) to qualify for All-Star eligibility.

Try next year, if you want two teams, to begin with more players because injuries and dropouts do occur. Or begin with one highly motivated team of 15 players.

Hope that helps.