The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 08:39pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
ASA/USA wants us to start 1BLX as PU and rotate as necessary. NCAA is OK with starting at point of plate from the get go. This being an ASA/USA tournament, I went 15-18 feet 1BLX to read the play and closed to 10-12 to make the call on a tag. (I was not the umpire at 9:13)

That injury at 11:14 is the compound fracture I mentioned in the OP. I was U3, right on top of it. Sounded horrible. Sounded like a combination between a wooden bat breaking and a .22 starter pistol. You'll see me immediately kill it and call for medical personnel. Nothing but a clean late slide and an SS who unfortunately stepped directly into a sliding runner, instead of out of the baseline.

As an aside, if you're wondering why I was a bit defensive to the assistant coach immediately after the injury, that's because he told me "That call was absolute bullshit and you know it. You got her hurt and you're gonna cost her that scholarship." Normally in this level of play, that's an ejection for me, but not at that moment. I told him to knock it off, let's be concerned about the player and we could talk about his thoughts on the call later. Instead of talking to me, they went to the TD and said I was rude while they had a hurt player. :|

He is an AC. Automatic ejection in my book as you described it. And I would not lose one second of sleep about the ejection.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
He is an AC. Automatic ejection in my book as you described it. And I would not lose one second of sleep about the ejection.

MTD, Sr.
The fact that it is the ASSISTANT coach should be irrelevant. It is a shit attitude for any umpire and definitely not supported by any rule
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The UIC on the field went to the video during the injury delay and came to the same conclusion we did: late slide resulted in an unfortunate injury. He asked what I said to the assistant, and I told him. Nothing further came of it. It was just a "wrong place, wrong time" incident.
Speaking of wrong place, that may have been a problem. I've always been of the belief that when there is an injury to a player (unless the umpire is a trained medical provider) the umpires should move to another area on the field and allow the team to take care of their player.

Nothing good can come of hanging out near the players and coaches during this time.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
With all due respect Mark, this is a baseball mentality...one which I would have a hard time subscribing to, even if I still worked baseball. Some of the conferences I work unofficially treat an AC as a subhuman mute homunculus, but I just can't get on board with that.

Every coach on my field has the same amount of rope, regardless of title. Players get less, but that's because they're players. A situation like this, and you have to get mighty personal or profane before I send you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking of wrong place, that may have been a problem. I've always been of the belief that when there is an injury to a player (unless the umpire is a trained medical provider) the umpires should move to another area on the field and allow the team to take care of their player.

Nothing good can come of hanging out near the players and coaches during this time.
Agreed. I have CPR and basic first aid training, but I am not a medical provider. While I immediately knew this was a serious injury, I got out of there as soon as I saw that it was not life-threatening and medical personnel were on the scene.

On a different topic....how about that sell out call on the swipe tag at 3B five minutes before the injury?!! (<--- shameless self promotion)

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Jul 27, 2017 at 03:24am.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed. I have CPR and basic first aid training, but I am not a medical provider. While I immediately knew this was a serious injury, I got out of there as soon as I saw that it was not life-threatening and medical personnel were on the scene.
When I say another area, I mean the moment a coach is approaching the injured player, head to someplace 60+ feet away. Great time to get a drink of water, review any issues with your partners, maybe even take a trip to the head, be anywhere, but near that player and staff. BTW, there was nothing wrong with the call. They don't teach their players to slide properly and he is talking to you?

Quote:
On a different topic....how about that sell out call on the swipe tag at 3B five minutes before the injury?!! (<--- shameless self promotion)
You need to remember to pull that right leg around
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
With all due respect Mark, this is a baseball mentality...one which I would have a hard time subscribing to, even if I still worked baseball. Some of the conferences I work unofficially treat an AC as a subhuman mute homunculus, but I just can't get on board with that.

Every coach on my field has the same amount of rope, regardless of title. Players get less, but that's because they're players. A situation like this, and you have to get mighty personal or profane before I send you off.

One of our hs group's members was a certified EMT - we were reminded time and time again, that he was the only one who was officially allowed to help an injured player - otherwise get your butt out of there, and let the coaches (who are supposed to be certified in first aid) help out.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
One of our hs group's members was a certified EMT - we were reminded time and time again, that he was the only one who was officially allowed to help an injured player - otherwise get your butt out of there, and let the coaches (who are supposed to be certified in first aid) help out.
Ran into this at a national where one of our umpires assigned to the tournament was an EMT. A girl on one field had a similar play and went down. That umpire was working an adjacent field. We stopped that game to allow her to help the injured player on the next field.

Yes, it put both games behind, but no one really cared nor complained. If they did, I never heard it.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[...]

Good call, but you let her get ahead of you. In your defense, she had no business going to third.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Good call, but you let her get ahead of you. In your defense, she had no business going to third.
No kidding. The ball was in the air before she reached 2B and she still kept on going...AND she almost made it! That girl was fast.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=

On a different topic....how about that sell out call on the swipe tag at 3B five minutes before the injury?!! (<--- shameless self promotion) [/QUOTE]

It would be shameless...if I could find it
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
It would be shameless...if I could find it
Second pitch of the game. https://youtu.be/vDocZqE_iZs?t=40285
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Second pitch of the game. https://youtu.be/vDocZqE_iZs?t=40285
Thanks - nice...
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

On 2nd pitch of game, for the play at 3rd. Whose call was that? Shouldn't the PU have that call in 3-man mechanics? 1st base ump should have been heading home? what am i missing?

As pointed out in the next few posts, U1 went out. Sorry, I missed that.

Last edited by josephrt1; Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 04:54pm.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
On 2nd pitch of game, for the play at 3rd. Whose call was that? Shouldn't the PU have that call in 3-man mechanics? 1st base ump should have been heading home? what am i missing?
Didn't U1 go out?
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Didn't U1 go out?
They did.