The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 11:40am
Ok is the new good

Notes or an Outline

Hello Gang,

Does anyone have notes or an outline of the rules in an easy to read format that breaks down the concepts and framework to make the proper calls. I know this information is in the RB and casebook but its spread out and was hoping that there was a more condensed version that is more organized.

Any help is Greatly appreciated!
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:07pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I gotta be honest, Rook. I don't really understand what you're asking for here. You want an outline of the rules that will make it easier to get calls right? What concepts and framework are you looking for? I think you're going to have to help us a little on this one.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Did you want to keep this in your pocket and refer to it after you blow your whistle?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

There is no substitute for study. That being said, the Officials manual has a good section on basketball rule fundamentals. Is there a particular rule you're having trouble with?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

There are no shortcuts to becoming a better official...practice, practice, and more practice.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 12:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Buy either a Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook or Rules By Topic book that the NF produces. That is about it. Otherwise you still have to read the rules and read what those rules are in detail. No substitute or "cheat sheet" when it comes to rules. These books might make it easier to navigate, but they are still based on the rules which you still need to eventually read to cover all situations.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Jeff about Rules By Topic (which gathers the various rules, or parts of rules, from all over the RB into one place for selected topics). If you're struggling with making the associations between the bits and pieces of the rules that are spread across the book, this may be of great help to you in learning the rules.

As for applying them, there really is no substitute for simply getting out on the floor and calling games. The rule book can clearly define what a foul is in text, but you've got to learn to recognize a foul in game situations. Honestly, that comes from seeing lots of plays, screwing some of them up, going back to the books and having discussions with other officials (like happens here), and then seeing those plays again and applying what you learned.

As for a framework, I know it's not really what you were envisioning, but if you're working a decent level of ball where the players and coaches and your partners have a reasonable amount of experience, a simple framework is simply that you do the best job you can and "they" will let you know when you're messing up. That's not to say that just because a coach questions a call/no-call you got it wrong. But if you consistently are getting grief for how you call certain plays, you probably need to reevaluate how you calling them.

Just my $0.02
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Buy either a Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook or Rules By Topic book that the NF produces.
This was going to be my suggestion, too. I would add, though, that the books aren't for everyone (I don't care for them, for example), so you should try to borrow one before you spend the money to buy one.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This was going to be my suggestion, too. I would add, though, that the books aren't for everyone (I don't care for them, for example), so you should try to borrow one before you spend the money to buy one.
That might be true for a veteran, but newer officials that tend to have a hard time navigating there way around the rulebook like many of us did, then these books are very good. Which is why in my basketball class I have to use a lot of visual evidence to accompany the black and white rules that are referenced for the people in the class to understand. Newer officials just have questions we do not have at this stage of our career.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 03:32pm
Ok is the new good

Yes...You captured exactly what I was trying to say. For example linking the penalties to the violations or fouls, the Throw In spot to resume play..etc. Pulling it all together
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Yes...You captured exactly what I was trying to say. For example linking the penalties to the violations or fouls, the Throw In spot to resume play..etc. Pulling it all together
This may seem harsh, but doing it yourself may be a terrific way of really learning the rules.

It's sort of what I did when taking the NFHS test.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like This ???

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES FUNDAMENTALS

1. While the ball remains live, a loose ball always remains in control of the team
whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap for goal.
2. Neither a team nor any player is ever in control during a dead ball, jump ball,
throw-in, or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal.
3. A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or
passes through unless canceled by a throw-in violation or a player-control foul.
4. The jump ball, the throw-in and the free throw are the only methods of getting a
dead ball live.
5. Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or
free throw.
6. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
7. The only infractions for which points are awarded are goaltending by the defense
or basket interference at the opponent’s basket.
8. There are three types of violations and each has its own penalty.
9. A ball in flight has the same relationship to frontcourt or backcourt, or inbounds
or out of bounds, as when it last touched a person or the floor.
10. Personal fouls always involve illegal contact and occur during a live ball, except a
common foul by or on an airborne shooter.
11. The penalty for a single flagrant personal or flagrant technical foul is two free
throws and disqualification plus awarding the ball to the opponents for a
throw-in.
12. Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which they occur.
13. A live-ball foul by the offense (team in control or last in control if the ball is loose),
or the expiration of time for a quarter or extra period, causes the ball to become
dead immediately, unless the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal. The ball
also becomes dead when a player-control foul occurs.
14. The first or only free-throw violation by the offense causes the ball to become
dead immed iately.
15. A double personal foul involves only personal fouls and only two opponents; no
free throws awarded and the ball is put in play at the point of interruption. A
double technical foul involves only technical fouls and only two opponents; no free
throws are awarded, and the ball is put in play at the point of interruption.
16. The official’s whistle seldom causes the ball to become dead (it is already dead).
17. “Continuous motion” applies both to tries and taps for field goals and free throws,
but it has no significance unless there is a foul by the defense during the interval
which begins when the habitual trying or tapping movement starts and ends when
the ball is clearly in flight.
18. Whether the clock is running or is stopped has no influence on the counting of a goal.
19. A ball which touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same
as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches the thrower’s
backboard, it does not constitute a part of a dribble.
20. If the ball goes through the basket before or after a player-control foul, the goal
shall not be counted.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

How About This ???

Rules Informational for Youth Coaches - LGP

Rules Informational for Youth Coaches - LGP
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 06:51pm
Ok is the new good

Perfect..You are the King of Mac!