The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The NFHS (and NCAA, for that matter) are affiliated members of USA Softball.

From what I understand, many state HS Governing bodies have agreements with individual officials associations to train officials and assign HS contests in their respective areas.

My assumption is that the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference has recognized and approved USA Softball of Connecticut to train and assign softball umpires. I don't believe this necessarily means that USA SB uniforms are to be worn when working HS games in CT.
Our local umpire association executive board is of the opinion that since we use the USA Softball insurance, we are obligated to wear the logo when umpiring HS softball. I live near the edge of the geographic area my association covers, however, and the umpires I see from other associations wear blank hats and plain blues, with no logos at all.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 03:01pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
Our local umpire association executive board is of the opinion that since we use the USA Softball insurance, we are obligated to wear the logo when umpiring HS softball.
What, are they concerned that an umpire who doesn't wear a logoed shirt is not going to be covered by USA Softball Insurance if something happens to him/her? I seriously doubt that should an umpire need to file a claim, there's a question on the claim paperwork that asks, "Were you wearing a proper ASA uniform when the incident occurred?"

And, for the record, I've never been told I had to wear a uniform with a NASO logo on it to be covered. And I've worked plenty of games wearing the ASA logo but don't have their insurance. I haven't been told that wasn't inappropriate. But I digress...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What, are they concerned that an umpire who doesn't wear a logoed shirt is not going to be covered by USA Softball Insurance if something happens to him/her? I seriously doubt that should an umpire need to file a claim, there's a question on the claim paperwork that asks, "Were you wearing a proper ASA uniform when the incident occurred?"

And, for the record, I've never been told I had to wear a uniform with a NASO logo on it to be covered. And I've worked plenty of games wearing the ASA logo but don't have their insurance. I haven't been told that wasn't inappropriate. But I digress...
I know. It is nonsensical, but we do what the bylaws say.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you paid the ASA registration fee in your state (VA or SC), then you were automatically enrolled and covered by the ASA umpire insurance as a part of that registration; whether you were told that or not.

Wearing an ASA umpire uniform has no significance in the BollingerASA insurance program; the requirements are that all participants (teams and umpires) be registered, and that an approved ASA assignor (anyone the Commissioner says is approved) assign the games. It is up to the ASA Commissioner to verify and sign off on all these factors; I've been part of the process in approving these claims, and the uniform is absolutely not required. My Commissioner only asked me to confirm that I assigned the game to the claimant, and if I was made aware of the injury as part of that assignment.

As a former State UIC, I'm sure IrishMafia has had similar experiences.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And is USA Softball okay with that fact?
Does USA consider scholastic ball a competitor? Some areas might be weird but I doubt you could find enough players during the scholastic season to field a traveling team.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Does USA consider scholastic ball a competitor? Some areas might be weird but I doubt you could find enough players during the scholastic season to field a traveling team.
USA/ASA has had a secondary (optional) insurance plan for registered umpires that covers when working other sports, and extends some softball coverages; it specifically excludes competitor softball games (ie, USSSA, NSA, etc.).

At the same time, it DOES state coverage for umpiring softball for high school, college, junior college, and SCMAF (in CA). I would take that to mean that USA Softball considers those as affiliated groups, not competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.rpsbollinger.com/media/81770/mc_0000292-insuranceguide.pdf
Q: Am I covered while officiating any kind of softball games?
A: No, the plan only covers USA Softball softball, High School, Junior College, College and (in California) SCMAF softball. No coverage is provided for officiating softball for competing softball organizations.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Jun 20, 2017 at 10:20pm.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2017, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
If you paid the ASA registration fee in your state (VA or SC), then you were automatically enrolled and covered by the ASA umpire insurance as a part of that registration; whether you were told that or not.

Wearing an ASA umpire uniform has no significance in the BollingerASA insurance program; the requirements are that all participants (teams and umpires) be registered, and that an approved ASA assignor (anyone the Commissioner says is approved) assign the games. It is up to the ASA Commissioner to verify and sign off on all these factors; I've been part of the process in approving these claims, and the uniform is absolutely not required. My Commissioner only asked me to confirm that I assigned the game to the claimant, and if I was made aware of the injury as part of that assignment.

As a former State UIC, I'm sure IrishMafia has had similar experiences.
I believe it to still be so, but it should also be noted that when all member of a USA(ASA) umpire organization is registered USA(ASA), Bollinger covers the association as a whole by default.

IMO, there is absolutely nothing nonsensical about the insurance situation. It is part of your registration and has stipulation just as every other insurance policy one purchases.

I know many umpires who have purchased additional insurances simply because they didn't understand what was or wasn't covered by the policies that came with registrations with various organizations. I used to try to talk about the ASA insurance as much as I could since I had first hand information. I never missed a session with Bollinger whether it was at a regional or national UIC clinic or a general council meeting. The folks from Bollinger were always happy to answer any questions. Unfortunately, I tired of looking at all the blank faces or people more interested in who was buying the next round, not that that isn't important Used to be the USA insurance covers the umpire to, from and during any ASA sanctioned event whether a game, meeting or social event. Don't know if that is still the case and/or if other policies have similar coverage.

In my years, I only had one umpire need to make a claim and Bollingers handled it without any problems and it didn't even involve umpiring.

This is from the Bollinger web site for USA Softball:

Umpire registration now includes coverage for officiating Scholastic (Middle School, High School, NFHS) and Collegiate (NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA) Softball events. It will not follow umpires when working other softball organizations. Therefore, this scholastic coverage will be eliminated from the Sports Officials Insurance Plan.

As Steve touched upon, I made it quite clear that there would be no insurance fraud on my behold. Straight forward with everyone that there would be no lies told to "cover" for someone working outside the system or were not registered.

More information here.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Jun 21, 2017 at 10:20pm.