Thread: Insured or Not
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 20, 2017, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What, are they concerned that an umpire who doesn't wear a logoed shirt is not going to be covered by USA Softball Insurance if something happens to him/her? I seriously doubt that should an umpire need to file a claim, there's a question on the claim paperwork that asks, "Were you wearing a proper ASA uniform when the incident occurred?"

And, for the record, I've never been told I had to wear a uniform with a NASO logo on it to be covered. And I've worked plenty of games wearing the ASA logo but don't have their insurance. I haven't been told that wasn't inappropriate. But I digress...
If you paid the ASA registration fee in your state (VA or SC), then you were automatically enrolled and covered by the ASA umpire insurance as a part of that registration; whether you were told that or not.

Wearing an ASA umpire uniform has no significance in the BollingerASA insurance program; the requirements are that all participants (teams and umpires) be registered, and that an approved ASA assignor (anyone the Commissioner says is approved) assign the games. It is up to the ASA Commissioner to verify and sign off on all these factors; I've been part of the process in approving these claims, and the uniform is absolutely not required. My Commissioner only asked me to confirm that I assigned the game to the claimant, and if I was made aware of the injury as part of that assignment.

As a former State UIC, I'm sure IrishMafia has had similar experiences.