The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Insured or Not (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102750-insured-not.html)

Multiple Sports Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:38pm

Insured or Not

There are a few slow pitch softball leagues in our area that are not affiliated with ASA. A few of our ASA registered unpires refuse to work this league wearing their ASA gear because the league isn't registered with ASA. We have a few guys who could care less and claim
they are insured through NASO and they are willing to work. Are the NASO guys insured ???? If so outside of ASA tournaments what is the point of their insurance if the NASO insurance is valid ???

Look forward to hearing some opinions.....

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 18, 2017 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1007025)
There are a few slow pitch softball leagues in our area that are not affiliated with ASA. A few of our ASA registered unpires refuse to work this league wearing their ASA gear because the league isn't registered with ASA. We have a few guys who could care less and claim
they are insured through NASO and they are willing to work. Are the NASO guys insured ???? If so outside of ASA tournaments what is the point of their insurance if the NASO insurance is valid ???

Look forward to hearing some opinions.....

How much less could they care? :)

If they purchased insurance from NASO, I would assume they would know whether they were insured or not. I can tell you their are not insured through ASA.

Mbilica Sun Jun 18, 2017 08:53pm

My understanding is that as long as you are officiating a game that was assigned to you, you are covered if you have NASO. If you do an "unofficial game" such as a pick up game or a game which was declared a forfeit but they would like you to stay for a practice game, you are not covered.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jun 19, 2017 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbilica (Post 1007054)
My understanding is that as long as you are officiating a game that was assigned to you, you are covered if you have NASO. If you do an "unofficial game" such as a pick up game or a game which was declared a forfeit but they would like you to stay for a practice game, you are not covered.

That part which I underlined is a myth, unless you or your assignor simply wants you to be unprotected. I have spoken over time with the people at NASO insurance, and with Bollinger, the USA/ASA insurance administrators, and that supposed excuse why umpires really just want to leave is bogus. Any official assigned by their organization assignor is covered for whatever is assigned; whether it is a league, a tournament, a practice game, a scrimmage, and YES, a practice game which was originally a scheduled game but is declared a forfeit. If you are still being paid, you CAN umpire what is there to umpire. This does also covers games that you pick up independently, but ONLY if it is common practice in your area to contract independently versus thru an assignor.

A few things that should be noted is that while NASO does provide some great liability and legal defense coverage, it does not provide any accidental medical coverage for the officials. If injured while officiating, you need to have your own medical insurance, unless you are covered by another "sanction" or umbrella officiating policy which covers you in that particular event. The issue of coverage with USA/ASA (and others, too, although some do, at least, offer optional coverage for other sanctions) is it only covers if the teams and the umpires are all registered to that sanction.

To the OP, if there is no league ball in that area that registers USA, just leagues that are nonsanctioned, then yes, USA registration and umpire insurance is only good for USA sanctioned tournaments. That's a decision/calculation each umpire group (or individual umpires) needs to make based on cost versus reward for USA (or USSSA, or any other sanction) for what you stand to gain. But the NASO insurance leaves a pretty significant gap in coverage (accidental medical) that they/you might need to consider.

Manny A Mon Jun 19, 2017 01:07pm

Being retired military, I have health coverage through Tricare. So my insurance through my NASO membership is sufficient for me not to worry about getting additional redundant insurance through Bollinger.

If a league is not USA Softball sanctioned, I wouldn't wear the USA Softball gear to begin with. I would just wear shirts, hats and ball bags with no logos.

Mbilica Mon Jun 19, 2017 01:29pm

My local high school association mandates that we have USA Softball insurance and they spend some of our dues to buy it on our behalf. However, I have only worked 2 ASA/USA Softball games in my career. I typically work USSSA or Pony because very few teams near me play any other code. I would be happy to skip the insurance, as a result, but since we use USA Softball uniforms for HS games and the association assigns several USA slow pitch leagues (far away from where I live) the requirement isn't going away. So I will continue to carry it.

CecilOne Mon Jun 19, 2017 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbilica (Post 1007076)
USA Softball uniforms for HS games

Violates NFHS rules if that is what you are using.
Also, wearing USA SB uniforms for unsanctioned games.

Mbilica Mon Jun 19, 2017 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1007080)

Don't get me started...

Manny A Mon Jun 19, 2017 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1007080)

It's not just a local thing in Connecticut. This is out of their Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference Handbook:

Quote:

7.3 OFFICIALS

7.3.A. CIAC RECOGNIZED OFFICIALS GROUPS

The CIAC has recognized the following officials groups to officiate high school contests:
Connecticut State Board of Approved Baseball Umpires
Connecticut State Board of Approved Basketball Officials
Connecticut Football Officials Association
Connecticut Field Hockey Association Official’s Board
Connecticut Charter of National Association of Women’s Gymnastic Judges
Connecticut Chapter of National Ice Hockey Officials
Connecticut Lacrosse Officials Association
Western Connecticut Lacrosse Officials Association
Connecticut Women’s Lacrosse Officials Association
Connecticut National Federation of Softball Umpires (Affiliated with USA Softball CT)
Connecticut Soccer Officials Association
Connecticut Swimming Officials Association
Western Connecticut Swimming Officials Association
Connecticut Board of Volleyball Officials
Connecticut Wrestling Officials Association
So apparently the use of softball umpires in CT high school ball are affiliated with USA Softball.

CecilOne Mon Jun 19, 2017 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1007093)
So apparently the use of softball umpires in CT high school ball are affiliated with USA Softball.

We are too in our Association, but we know two sets of rules, attend clinics for both, and wear uniforms by each book.

Mbilica Mon Jun 19, 2017 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1007095)
We are too in our Association, but we know two sets of rules, attend clinics for both, and wear uniforms by each book.

We have 2 clinics as well

Dakota Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29pm

Members of the NFHS Officials Association receive insurance for ALL levels of sports recognized by the state high school association. This covers youth as well as adult sports and is not restricted to high school games.

So, since MSHSL recognizes fastpitch softball, I am covered by the NFHS insurance if I officiate women's fastpitch (for example), but not men's (since MSHSL does not recognize boys fastpitch).

NFHS Officials Association insurance covers general liability and excess accident medical. For accident medical, you are first covered by your own insurance (e.g. through your day-job employer), and the NFHS insurance picks up where that leaves off. Insurance is provided by Dissinger Reed.

National Federation of State High School Associations - Dissinger Reed

I've never had to file a claim, so my knowledge is based purely on what I have read, not what I have experienced.

However, it does mean that when I register with USA, I am double paying for insurance I don't need, and unless I was going to officiate sports not recognized by the MSHSL, I certainly would not benefit from NASO insurance.

CecilOne Tue Jun 20, 2017 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1007113)
Members of the NFHS Officials Association receive insurance for ALL levels of sports recognized by the state high school association. This covers youth as well as adult sports and is not restricted to high school games.

So, since MSHSL recognizes fastpitch softball, I am covered by the NFHS insurance if I officiate women's fastpitch (for example), but not men's (since MSHSL does not recognize boys fastpitch).

NFHS Officials Association insurance covers general liability and excess accident medical. For accident medical, you are first covered by your own insurance (e.g. through your day-job employer), and the NFHS insurance picks up where that leaves off. Insurance is provided by Dissinger Reed.

National Federation of State High School Associations - Dissinger Reed

I've never had to file a claim, so my knowledge is based purely on what I have read, not what I have experienced.

Good info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1007113)
However, it does mean that when I register with USA, I am double paying for insurance I don't need, and unless I was going to officiate sports not recognized by the MSHSL, I certainly would not benefit from NASO insurance.

Doesn't NASO provide more liability coverage?

Manny A Tue Jun 20, 2017 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1007095)

Most local softball associations I've been with are the same. We worked JuCo and high school, as well as local rec leagues under ASA, Little League, and PONY. So we wore the appropriate logoed uniforms for the organization in question. We would never wear ASA stuff for high school ball, or vice versa.

I just find it odd that an official state high school manual would specifically list that their softball umpires come from an association that is affiliated with USA Softball. Why not just say the umpires come from Connecticut National Federation of Softball Umpires, and leave it at that? And is USA Softball okay with that fact?

Andy Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1007125)
....I just find it odd that an official state high school manual would specifically list that their softball umpires come from an association that is affiliated with USA Softball. Why not just say the umpires come from Connecticut National Federation of Softball Umpires, and leave it at that? And is USA Softball okay with that fact?

The NFHS (and NCAA, for that matter) are affiliated members of USA Softball.

From what I understand, many state HS Governing bodies have agreements with individual officials associations to train officials and assign HS contests in their respective areas.

My assumption is that the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference has recognized and approved USA Softball of Connecticut to train and assign softball umpires. I don't believe this necessarily means that USA SB uniforms are to be worn when working HS games in CT.