The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Batter Interference?

USA (ASA) 12U--No runners on base. I am BU. Batter hits ball, which comes to rest in fair territory about a foot from the plate. Batter starts to 1st and contacts ball. PU calls her out. Offense coach argues that, since one of the batter's feet was still in the box when contact was made, this should be a foul ball. PU asks for assistance. I say batter is out. Call stands. What say ya"ll??
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Very similar discussion going on on a facebook umpires forum.

8-2-F is the applicable rule and it actually makes no reference to batter/runners position in relation to the batters box. It simply says the batter/runner is out if they make contact with a fair batted ball prior to reaching 1st base.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhjr View Post
USA (ASA) 12U--No runners on base. I am BU. Batter hits ball, which comes to rest in fair territory about a foot from the plate. Batter starts to 1st and contacts ball. PU calls her out. Offense coach argues that, since one of the batter's feet was still in the box when contact was made, this should be a foul ball. PU asks for assistance. I say batter is out. Call stands. What say ya"ll??
The rule cited by RKBUmpm is the definitive response. The difference between this rule and the definition of Foul Ball (F) is very often misstated, and even more often ruled incorrectly.

In Foul Ball (F), the batted ball touches the batter who is within the batter's box; foul ball. In your OP (I underlined the pertinent statement), the ball did NOT touch the batter, the (now) batter-runner contacted the fair batted ball!!

The foul ball definition is meant to protect a batter who fouls the ball off her own body, and not attempt to determine if that body part was in fair or foul territory. Batter, still in the batter's box, ball hits the batter; foul ball. Not a batter-runner, who on the way out of the batter's box, runs into a fair batted ball; out, no matter if batter-runner or ball was still in the batter's box.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

In any case it is the location of the ball which determines wheither it is fair or foul, although the interpretation is that if the batter is struck while in the batters box it is a foul ball no matter what.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

This is a dead-ball out. Runners, if any, return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
In any case it is the location of the ball which determines wheither it is fair or foul, although the interpretation is that if the batter is struck while in the batters box it is a foul ball no matter what.
False. Not an interpretation, not no matter what. Read the rules cited.

It is your job to know if the ball hit the batter, or if the batter-runner contacted the ball. Two completely different rules with two different results. There is no interpretation at any level to rule a batter-runner contacting a fair ball in the batters box as a foul ball.

Same basic premise as a discarded bat; did the bat hit the ball (out), or did the ball hit the bat (play on). Make the call, not misapply a rule based on a nonexistent interpretation.
Old Wed Jun 07, 2017, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Are you saying that if the batter kicks a ball that is within the batters box while the batter is within the box that you will call her out?
I also think this has nothing to do with your analogy of the ball hitting the bat or vice versa because that is based on an actual rule that the bat cannot strike the ball twice if fair.

Last edited by MT 73; Wed Jun 07, 2017 at 11:43pm.
Old Thu Jun 08, 2017, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you saying that if the batter kicks a ball that is within the batters box while the batter is within the box that you will call her out?
I also think this has nothing to do with your analogy of the ball hitting the bat or vice versa because that is based on an actual rule that the bat cannot strike the ball twice if fair.
Absolutely, yes. That is an out. Based on an actual rule. And as others have stated in this post. Not sure what part of that is unclear.

Again, read the rule referenced. It is crystal clear, and there is no written interpretation that changes it. 8.2-F(4) The batter-runner is out when ..... contacts a fair batted ball before reaching first base.

I suggest you cite any rule or specific written interpretation from ASA/USA that you feel contradicts this.

If you cannot see the analogy, maybe you should ask someone you trust how it applies, since you seem unwilling to consider it.
Old Fri Jun 09, 2017, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, since it is a fair batted ball, the batter-runner is out.
Old Sat Jun 10, 2017, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Had this very same thing happen to my team while on defense today. Batter hit a ball that bounced hard in front of the plate. Batter came out of the box in full stride with one foot out and one foot still in. Ball bounces up and she hits it with her chest. "FOUL BALL!!"
Old Sat Jun 10, 2017, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Did you ask the official why it wasnt ruled an out?
Old Sat Jun 10, 2017, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Did you ask the official why it wasnt ruled an out?
Yes. Immediately. He said "because she was still in the box" and I very quickly recited the above rule and he nodded toward the BU. The poor base umpire looked like he swallowed his tongue when I spouted out that rule and quickly recovered and said "well she hit the ball twice with her bat so it's a foul ball." I just smiled and said "really?". No need in pushing it. I got my point across. Interesting thing happened just a couple batters later. My first baseman stretched way out and got an out at first that sure looked safe to me. I'm old enough to just let things go and let them work themselves out sometimes.
Old Sat Jun 10, 2017, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Absolutely, yes. That is an out. Based on an actual rule. And as others have stated in this post. Not sure what part of that is unclear.

Again, read the rule referenced. It is crystal clear, and there is no written interpretation that changes it. 8.2-F(4) The batter-runner is out when ..... contacts a fair batted ball before reaching first base.

I suggest you cite any rule or specific written interpretation from ASA/USA that you feel contradicts this.

If you cannot see the analogy, maybe you should ask someone you trust how it applies, since you seem unwilling to consider it.
I misread the OP--yes, since the ball is a foot in front of the plate it would be an out if the runner contacted it while heading to first base.
I assumed we were talking about a ball that is within the batters box that the batter contacts while she is still in the box.
That I am calling a foul ball.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2017, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

MT, remember that it's possible for a batted ball to be in the batter's box AND be in fair territory.
Soft powder dirt, a bunt goes straight down and dies there (in the BB). If the batter makes a move toward 1B she is now a BR (could be still completely in the BB). If she contacts that ball she's out. In the BB.
Old Sun Jun 11, 2017, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
MT, remember that it's possible for a batted ball to be in the batter's box AND be in fair territory.
Soft powder dirt, a bunt goes straight down and dies there (in the BB). If the batter makes a move toward 1B she is now a BR (could be still completely in the BB). If she contacts that ball she's out. In the BB.
Possibe in theory but that is a mighty fine line to cross and I was trained to give the benefit of doubt to the batter and call it a foul ball.
Since this is a judgement call it cannot be argued or protested.
Others here are free to do it their way.

Last edited by MT 73; Sun Jun 11, 2017 at 04:28pm.