The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

World Series call/no call discussion

I thought last night's safe call on the runner going to home was pretty bad. If that's not running out of one's base path, nothing is. I bet the PU wishes they could see it again/take it back. The TV folks sure agree as they played it back a lot and more today. I didn't have my sound on and did not hear any discussion till today. Also the UCLA coach going ballistic over a perceived obstruction. That no call was correct in my mind. Train wrecks at home are not totally avoidable.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

I just watched the UCLA/TAMU play at the plate. I think this is a good OBS no call. IMHO, the position of the catcher did not impede or hinder the runner until the catcher was in the act of catching.

The ejection appeared warranted as well, although we should not step towards game participants when ejecting; we should step away. The bump after the EJ was just plain uncalled for. That's a suspension.

Last edited by teebob21; Sat Jun 03, 2017 at 06:14pm.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball/football guy here

What are the rules/philosophies in softball regarding assistants arguing calls? In basketball most officials have a very short leash for assistants misbehaving before assessing a technical foul. Applying my basketball knowledge to softball, I was surprised she wasn't tossed sooner, but I also have never umpired before.
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Basketball/football guy here

What are the rules/philosophies in softball regarding assistants arguing calls? In basketball most officials have a very short leash for assistants misbehaving before assessing a technical foul. Applying my basketball knowledge to softball, I was surprised she wasn't tossed sooner, but I also have never umpired before.
Couldn't care less what the individual's position is on the team, they have the right to represent their team in a professional manner. all are equally liable to be ejected as necessary
Old Sat Jun 03, 2017, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Only the head coach is permitted to approach an umpire.
Assistants are to be seen and not heard.

Last edited by MT 73; Sat Jun 03, 2017 at 10:43pm.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
Please show me the rule stating that. I hear this over and over again from officials and yet there is no rule saying anything of the sort. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the actions of their coaching staff, but there is no rule saying only the head coach may interact with the officials.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Simply not true. That is truly OOO.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Please show me the rule stating that. I hear this over and over again from officials and yet there is no rule saying anything of the sort. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the actions of their coaching staff, but there is no rule saying only the head coach may interact with the officials.
It is not in the rules but is accepted practice.
Since you hear this over and over again perhaps this should have sunk in by now.
If you guys want to take crap from an assistant coach or a score keeper be my guest.
I suppose you also allow assistants at your pre game plate conference?

Last edited by MT 73; Sun Jun 04, 2017 at 09:32am.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Why wouldnt I allow any coach that wants to attend the pregame conference to present. In fact, if you read the NFHS umpires manual regarding the pregame conference it says any coach who wishes to attend may do so. The only requirement in NFHS is that the head coach must be present.

And no, nothing needs to sink in. Just because numerous officials have a superiority complex saying they wont talk to anyone but the head coach regardless of it not being in the rule book does not make it proper or accepted it merely makes it one of those myths perpetuated by officials, much like the numerous rule myths passed on year after year by unknowing parents and coaches. By your train of thought, head coach at 3rd base, assistant coach at 1st and a pulled foot on a close play at 1st base. You would require the assistant coach to go to the head coach, tell them what they say and then have the head coach go to the calling official to ask for assistance on the call.

Or, how about a situation that involves some obscure rule. The assistant coach knows the rule but the head coach does not. Again, you are going to require the assistant coach to go to the head coach, and then the head coach to come to the officials. Then, if there is further question on the rule, the head coach must run back and forth between their assistant and the umpires in order to discuss the situation because "assistants should be seen and not heard"?

There is absolutely nothing in writing anywhere saying only the head coach may interact with the officials. As Irish just said, anyone who claims so is being beyond overly officious.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

A team hires a pitching coach, because the head coach knows little to nothing about pitching. An umpire (doesn't matter which) calls an illegal pitch; the team sends out a representative asking for clarification of the call made.

Personally, I WANT to talk to the pitching coach, who is more likely to understand what it is I'm saying, so the pitcher can fix it and I won't have to keep calling the same violation.

MT 73, you have been taught and practice the baseball philosophy intended to promote a chain of command to manage the game. That isn't the prevailing softball philosophy; in collegiate games, you will lose conference assignments and be dropped off conference staffs if you practice that at that level. Even if you survive, that current assistant will be a head coach some day, and will remember you as the umpire that treated her like dirt.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I keep assistant coaches on a short leash.
If they ask in a respectful manner I will respond likewise.
If they get in my face to argue, or start making snide comments I will call time and inform the head coach to get the offender in line.
After that I inform the offender to knock it off or face an ejection.
Which, BTW, I have never had to do since by that time they get it.
I do not do college nor NHFS so if being warm and fuzzy is necessary on the road to advancement then I wish you all the best of luck.
BTW-- I coached high level travel ball for years and if one of my assistants tried to argue a call I would have fired him in a NY minute.
I also told my parents that if they ever got into it with an umpire their daughter would be benched for the rest of the game.
Youth sports would be a lot more enjoyable for all if head coaches would take better charge of everyone-- coaches, assistants, parents and players.

Last edited by MT 73; Sun Jun 04, 2017 at 04:50pm.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is not in the rules but is accepted practice.
No where of which I am aware

Quote:
Since you hear this over and over again perhaps this should have sunk in by now.
If you guys want to take crap from an assistant coach or a score keeper be my guest.
I suppose you also allow assistants at your pre game plate conference?
I've heard it before and promptly corrected the situation and umpire. It is the act of an over-officious official. As a coach, I would openly refuse to accept your direction.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No where of which I am aware

I've heard it before and promptly corrected the situation and umpire. It is the act of an over-officious official. As a coach, I would openly refuse to accept your direction.
My HS association only allows captains and head coaches at the pregame conference.
If as a coach you refused to accept this or ANY other of my directions you would be dumped and reported.

Last edited by MT 73; Sun Jun 04, 2017 at 06:10pm.
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thought you didn't work high school?
Old Sun Jun 04, 2017, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Lets not get any testier or negatively personal.