The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Yeah, I really don't think I can use this as a valid argument to justify why sunglasses aren't considered jewelry when not worn over the eyes.

A more valid argument, in my mind, is that all jewelry except religious and medical alert medals is prohibited, regardless how it's worn. So if sunglasses are allowed over the eyes, then by definition they are not considered jewelry; otherwise, they would not be allowed, period.

This whole sunglasses-on-the-cap kick is something old crusty umpires who feel anything outside of the "true" uniform should not be tolerated. They are the ones who get bent out of shape over players wearing their caps off-centered or with their bills completely flattened, who wear their pant legs over the heel of the shoe, who put too much eye black on their faces, etc., etc. I remember a couple of those umpires in my son's old Little League organization who would make a fuss over kids who wore two different colored socks, or who wore fitted caps when other players had adjustable ones. Really?
I guess that's what happens when I point out something logical.
Old Sun Nov 12, 2017, 02:15pm
paulo breck

Cool Softball Platers Wearing Sunglasses alot

My daughter plays softball and got hit in the face by a pitch. I bought her sunglasses at the beginning of the season from a local store and they were expensive. She lost that pair and I bought anther affordable pair at this best sunglasses website.

They arrived quickly and she was protected for the rest of the season.

Thank god
Old Sun Nov 12, 2017, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
I believe this was discussed before (what hasn't been?) but what do you feel about sunglasses that are worn on the cap when the clouds roll in? This was USSSA, but any interpretation would be good. I know NCAA has addressed the issue. The sun was in and out this weekend and I had a partner that insisted that if the sunglasses came off they couldn't be put on the hat without a jewelry warning. A UIC felt the same way. I'd have a tough time taking that step. What happens on your fields?
Why would you even worry about this. The umpire that makes an issue over this is just asking for trouble.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2017, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Manny A;1006534]Yeah, I really don't think I can use this as a valid argument to justify why sunglasses aren't considered jewelry when not worn over the eyes.

A more valid argument, in my mind, is that all jewelry except religious and medical alert medals is prohibited, regardless how it's worn. So if sunglasses are allowed over the eyes, then by definition they are not considered jewelry; otherwise, they would not be allowed, period.]

Jewelry is not prohibited. It is the umpires judgment whether it is safe or not. So in the case of sunglasses on the head an umpire can easily judge it as safe.