The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   sunglasses (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102723-sunglasses.html)

Little Jimmy Mon Jun 05, 2017 06:04am

sunglasses

I believe this was discussed before (what hasn't been:rolleyes:?) but what do you feel about sunglasses that are worn on the cap when the clouds roll in? This was USSSA, but any interpretation would be good. I know NCAA has addressed the issue. The sun was in and out this weekend and I had a partner that insisted that if the sunglasses came off they couldn't be put on the hat without a jewelry warning. A UIC felt the same way. I'd have a tough time taking that step. What happens on your fields?

BlueDevilRef Mon Jun 05, 2017 08:05am

Would not even notice.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 05, 2017 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1006494)
I believe this was discussed before (what hasn't been:rolleyes:?) but what do you feel about sunglasses that are worn on the cap when the clouds roll in? This was USSSA, but any interpretation would be good. I know NCAA has addressed the issue. The sun was in and out this weekend and I had a partner that insisted that if the sunglasses came off they couldn't be put on the hat without a jewelry warning. A UIC felt the same way. I'd have a tough time taking that step. What happens on your fields?

It is nothing, but OOO

robbie Mon Jun 05, 2017 08:55am

Good, bad, or indifferent - In Indiana NSA Fastpitch the longstanding interpretation is that glasses, if worn, must be worn properly.

EsqUmp Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 1006501)
Good, bad, or indifferent - In Indiana NSA Fastpitch the longstanding interpretation is that glasses, if worn, must be worn properly.

And properly, when the sun goes away, could be on the head.

EsqUmp Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1006494)

How many jewelry stores sell sunglasses?

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:23am

What are the opinions about what umpires should do with their sunglasses?

(Yeah, I know, keep them with our white canes or service dogs.)

EsqUmp Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1006508)
What are the opinions about what umpires should do with their sunglasses?

(Yeah, I know, keep them with our white canes or service dogs.)

If they help you see better, wear them.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 1006510)
If they help you see better, wear them.

Certainly true of prescription glasses.

What about regular non-prescription types when the sun goes away and/or it starts getting dark, especially on a field with no lights?

Rich Ives Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:50am

Remember flip-ups? Are they legal when down and illegal when up?

Why do people get so worked up over sunglasses? Year after year someone goes bonkers over sunglasses. Why?

Little Jimmy Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:55am

This is another issue that could solved by a simple line added to a rulebook. "Sunglasses are not considered jewelry. Wearing them on top of the head/hat is not a rule violation..."

Rich Ives Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1006517)
This is another issue that could solved by a simple line added to a rulebook. "Sunglasses are not considered jewelry. Wearing them on top of the head/hat is not a rule violation..."

Have you ever in your life though of sunglasses as jewelry?

The rules don't say what's legal, they say what's illegal. You'd need a truck to carry the rule book idf it listed what's legal.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:23pm

Right or wrong, here's my logic:

As it relates to players (all but college), when the sun is popping in and out behind clouds, I consider it poor game management to want or need to stop the game multiple times to go get and put on or take off sunglasses. I do understand that sunglasses on the head could be considered an "adornment" in NFHS (as opposed to jewelry; that's a huge stretch), but with game management in mind, I would rather consider it a "hair control" device in that case. If the sun is going down and it is no longer needed, or it is worn in all instances as a decorative item, it may be subject to removal; it is then no longer being used as "equipment". In college, I have zero concern or responsibility, it is the coaches' problem what to allow players to wear. Someone, somewhere, may treat fallen sunglasses as detached player equipment, but it won't be me.

As it relates to umpires, I do not believe the sunglasses should EVER be worn on the hat. Wear them when needed to shade the sun; remove them (on the fence, in your shirt, held with glasses strap), they should never be where they can even possibly fall off and affect any part of any play in the wildest third world play. The NCAA official stance is worn, or removed completely; for the same reason of sun popping in and out for players, I accept within immediate reach, but not possible/likely to drop).

Manny A Mon Jun 05, 2017 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 1006505)
How many jewelry stores sell sunglasses?

Yeah, I really don't think I can use this as a valid argument to justify why sunglasses aren't considered jewelry when not worn over the eyes.

A more valid argument, in my mind, is that all jewelry except religious and medical alert medals is prohibited, regardless how it's worn. So if sunglasses are allowed over the eyes, then by definition they are not considered jewelry; otherwise, they would not be allowed, period.

This whole sunglasses-on-the-cap kick is something old crusty umpires who feel anything outside of the "true" uniform should not be tolerated. They are the ones who get bent out of shape over players wearing their caps off-centered or with their bills completely flattened, who wear their pant legs over the heel of the shoe, who put too much eye black on their faces, etc., etc. I remember a couple of those umpires in my son's old Little League organization who would make a fuss over kids who wore two different colored socks, or who wore fitted caps when other players had adjustable ones. Really?

robbie Mon Jun 05, 2017 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 1006503)
And properly, when the sun goes away, could be on the head.

I stand corrected - They have now loosened that requirement.
"Don't really care anymore. We prefer on or not at all but we let them wear on head if not pitcher."

I believe previous State edict was based on the "jewelry" rule. (Good or bad argument not withstanding...) NSA used to prohibit jewelry so specifically IN declared if not worn properly it was jewelry and therefore not allowed.

NSA no longer prohibits jewelry.