The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

sunglasses

I believe this was discussed before (what hasn't been?) but what do you feel about sunglasses that are worn on the cap when the clouds roll in? This was USSSA, but any interpretation would be good. I know NCAA has addressed the issue. The sun was in and out this weekend and I had a partner that insisted that if the sunglasses came off they couldn't be put on the hat without a jewelry warning. A UIC felt the same way. I'd have a tough time taking that step. What happens on your fields?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 08:05am
High Five Master

Would not even notice.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
I believe this was discussed before (what hasn't been?) but what do you feel about sunglasses that are worn on the cap when the clouds roll in? This was USSSA, but any interpretation would be good. I know NCAA has addressed the issue. The sun was in and out this weekend and I had a partner that insisted that if the sunglasses came off they couldn't be put on the hat without a jewelry warning. A UIC felt the same way. I'd have a tough time taking that step. What happens on your fields?
It is nothing, but OOO
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Good, bad, or indifferent - In Indiana NSA Fastpitch the longstanding interpretation is that glasses, if worn, must be worn properly.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Good, bad, or indifferent - In Indiana NSA Fastpitch the longstanding interpretation is that glasses, if worn, must be worn properly.
And properly, when the sun goes away, could be on the head.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How many jewelry stores sell sunglasses?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

What are the opinions about what umpires should do with their sunglasses?

(Yeah, I know, keep them with our white canes or service dogs.)
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
What are the opinions about what umpires should do with their sunglasses?

(Yeah, I know, keep them with our white canes or service dogs.)
If they help you see better, wear them.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
If they help you see better, wear them.
Certainly true of prescription glasses.

What about regular non-prescription types when the sun goes away and/or it starts getting dark, especially on a field with no lights?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Remember flip-ups? Are they legal when down and illegal when up?

Why do people get so worked up over sunglasses? Year after year someone goes bonkers over sunglasses. Why?
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

This is another issue that could solved by a simple line added to a rulebook. "Sunglasses are not considered jewelry. Wearing them on top of the head/hat is not a rule violation..."
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is another issue that could solved by a simple line added to a rulebook. "Sunglasses are not considered jewelry. Wearing them on top of the head/hat is not a rule violation..."
Have you ever in your life though of sunglasses as jewelry?

The rules don't say what's legal, they say what's illegal. You'd need a truck to carry the rule book idf it listed what's legal.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Right or wrong, here's my logic:

As it relates to players (all but college), when the sun is popping in and out behind clouds, I consider it poor game management to want or need to stop the game multiple times to go get and put on or take off sunglasses. I do understand that sunglasses on the head could be considered an "adornment" in NFHS (as opposed to jewelry; that's a huge stretch), but with game management in mind, I would rather consider it a "hair control" device in that case. If the sun is going down and it is no longer needed, or it is worn in all instances as a decorative item, it may be subject to removal; it is then no longer being used as "equipment". In college, I have zero concern or responsibility, it is the coaches' problem what to allow players to wear. Someone, somewhere, may treat fallen sunglasses as detached player equipment, but it won't be me.

As it relates to umpires, I do not believe the sunglasses should EVER be worn on the hat. Wear them when needed to shade the sun; remove them (on the fence, in your shirt, held with glasses strap), they should never be where they can even possibly fall off and affect any part of any play in the wildest third world play. The NCAA official stance is worn, or removed completely; for the same reason of sun popping in and out for players, I accept within immediate reach, but not possible/likely to drop).
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 01:47pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
How many jewelry stores sell sunglasses?
Yeah, I really don't think I can use this as a valid argument to justify why sunglasses aren't considered jewelry when not worn over the eyes.

A more valid argument, in my mind, is that all jewelry except religious and medical alert medals is prohibited, regardless how it's worn. So if sunglasses are allowed over the eyes, then by definition they are not considered jewelry; otherwise, they would not be allowed, period.

This whole sunglasses-on-the-cap kick is something old crusty umpires who feel anything outside of the "true" uniform should not be tolerated. They are the ones who get bent out of shape over players wearing their caps off-centered or with their bills completely flattened, who wear their pant legs over the heel of the shoe, who put too much eye black on their faces, etc., etc. I remember a couple of those umpires in my son's old Little League organization who would make a fuss over kids who wore two different colored socks, or who wore fitted caps when other players had adjustable ones. Really?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 05, 2017, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And properly, when the sun goes away, could be on the head.
I stand corrected - They have now loosened that requirement.
"Don't really care anymore. We prefer on or not at all but we let them wear on head if not pitcher."

I believe previous State edict was based on the "jewelry" rule. (Good or bad argument not withstanding...) NSA used to prohibit jewelry so specifically IN declared if not worn properly it was jewelry and therefore not allowed.

NSA no longer prohibits jewelry.