The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Runner misses a base, how many runs score?

I am not a softball guy, so bear with me.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. The batter hits one in the right field corner and all 3 players end up coming all the way around. After all 3 have touched the plate, the defense appeals that the runner originally on 1st missed 2nd base and the runner is called out.

Obviously that runner's run does not count and she is the third out of the inning. The lead runner's run counts though, right? Appeals are timing plays, not forces, so as long as the runner scored before the appeal the run counts?

What about the BR? She scored before the appeal, but I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe even on this board) that no succeeding runner can score if an appeal is the third out. Or maybe I'm just crazy and made that up.

I'm interested in answers from any and all codes.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra View Post
I am not a softball guy, so bear with me.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 out. The batter hits one in the right field corner and all 3 players end up coming all the way around. After all 3 have touched the plate, the defense appeals that the runner originally on 1st missed 2nd base and the runner is called out.

Obviously that runner's run does not count and she is the third out of the inning. The lead runner's run counts though, right? Appeals are timing plays, not forces, so as long as the runner scored before the appeal the run counts?

What about the BR? She scored before the appeal, but I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe even on this board) that no succeeding runner can score if an appeal is the third out. Or maybe I'm just crazy and made that up.

I'm interested in answers from any and all codes.
No runs score R2 going to 2B is a force out and no runs may score on a play in which the 3rd out of the inning was a force out.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

^^^^^

What he said.

While there are some differences in various codes on variations (if a trail runner is put out for 2nd out, is this 3rd out appeal the force out it was when the base was missed, or a timing play now that the force is off at time of the appeal), all codes treat this play the same way. no run scores when the 3rd out is a force out. No different than if the batter hit to F6 who stepped on 2nd for the force out.

It doesn't matter if it an appeal; a force out is a force out. If it is NOT a force out, then it is a timing play.

Even baseball.
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

So say the runner missed third instead (no longer a force). Would te BR's run count?
Old Thu Jun 01, 2017, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So say the runner missed third instead (no longer a force). Would te BR's run count?
No.
Only the runner who was on second base would be scored.
If the B/R missed any base except for 1B then two runs would be scored.
Old Fri Jun 02, 2017, 07:17am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Nope. When a runner is called out on appeal for the third out that does not result in a force out, any lead runners ahead of that runner who scored do count, but any following runners do not.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker