The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Umpire incorrect foul call

I was in C, working with a 1st year umpire. Partner rules a batted ball close to plate as a foul ball. Offensive coaches go ballistic and my partner comes out to talk to me. He says catcher picked it up while it was on the plate. So, I told him that would be a fair ball, but you've already called it foul. So, he says he understands, walks back to the plate, and all of a sudden reverses his call to fair. Of course, now the defense goes ballistic, thinking I had reversed the call. What would you have done at this point?
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Hopefully, a DC would go to him and "ask", so he could come to you again.

If not, as an on field "trainer", take him aside and explain the problem of disadvantaging the defense, un-ringing the bell, etc. Yes, I would be proactive with a newbie, in spite of knowing we don't do that normally.

Eventually, he needs to let both coaches know he made a mistake; but can't get out of it.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

IMHO a foul call, even if incorrect, should never be reversed.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 07:31am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy View Post
I was in C, working with a 1st year umpire. Partner rules a batted ball close to plate as a foul ball. Offensive coaches go ballistic and my partner comes out to talk to me. He says catcher picked it up while it was on the plate. So, I told him that would be a fair ball, but you've already called it foul. So, he says he understands, walks back to the plate, and all of a sudden reverses his call to fair.
Sounds like you may have forgotten to tell him that he cannot change the call from foul to fair, and to just eat it. That was a critical piece of information he needed to know before you guys broke up.

Since he was a newbie, I would've approached the DC and him as the "discussion" took place, and hope he gets a clue that I'm standing there to encourage him to get me involved. Then, I would let him know that a fair ball that was ruled foul cannot be changed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

I would love to know why anyone, ever, would believe this to be a foul ball
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

"I would love to know why anyone, ever, would believe this to be a foul ball"

Here in Germany for NFHS, the umpires have to buy their own rule books. Not sure if anyone except me has one. I just worked the HS Championships this weekend and I was the only one who had their rule book and case book. Even the UIC didn't have one. I've landed in Umpire Purgatory. Fortunately, the coaches have no clue either.

Had a coach question me this weekend, gave him my answer, he went back to dugout. After game he came to me and said he was testing me because he had never seen me. Said I was the only one who answered his question correctly. It had to do with DP/FLEX.
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 10:23am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I would love to know why anyone, ever, would believe this to be a foul ball
Those same people are the ones who believe hands are part of the bat, batters cannot switch batter's boxes after two strikes, batter-runners have to turn right after overrunning first base, the ball is dead on a foul tip, etc. etc. It is just one of the many myths that have been around for time immemorial.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker