The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Umpire incorrect foul call (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102697-umpire-incorrect-foul-call.html)

bwbuddy Mon May 29, 2017 07:02am

Umpire incorrect foul call

I was in C, working with a 1st year umpire. Partner rules a batted ball close to plate as a foul ball. Offensive coaches go ballistic and my partner comes out to talk to me. He says catcher picked it up while it was on the plate. So, I told him that would be a fair ball, but you've already called it foul. So, he says he understands, walks back to the plate, and all of a sudden reverses his call to fair. Of course, now the defense goes ballistic, thinking I had reversed the call. What would you have done at this point?

CecilOne Mon May 29, 2017 07:12am

Hopefully, a DC would go to him and "ask", so he could come to you again.

If not, as an on field "trainer", take him aside and explain the problem of disadvantaging the defense, un-ringing the bell, etc. Yes, I would be proactive with a newbie, in spite of knowing we don't do that normally.

Eventually, he needs to let both coaches know he made a mistake; but can't get out of it.

MT 73 Mon May 29, 2017 09:37am

IMHO a foul call, even if incorrect, should never be reversed.

Manny A Tue May 30, 2017 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwbuddy (Post 1006234)
I was in C, working with a 1st year umpire. Partner rules a batted ball close to plate as a foul ball. Offensive coaches go ballistic and my partner comes out to talk to me. He says catcher picked it up while it was on the plate. So, I told him that would be a fair ball, but you've already called it foul. So, he says he understands, walks back to the plate, and all of a sudden reverses his call to fair.

Sounds like you may have forgotten to tell him that he cannot change the call from foul to fair, and to just eat it. That was a critical piece of information he needed to know before you guys broke up.

Since he was a newbie, I would've approached the DC and him as the "discussion" took place, and hope he gets a clue that I'm standing there to encourage him to get me involved. Then, I would let him know that a fair ball that was ruled foul cannot be changed.

IRISHMAFIA Tue May 30, 2017 08:20am

I would love to know why anyone, ever, would believe this to be a foul ball

Sapper33 Tue May 30, 2017 08:49am

"I would love to know why anyone, ever, would believe this to be a foul ball"

Here in Germany for NFHS, the umpires have to buy their own rule books. Not sure if anyone except me has one. I just worked the HS Championships this weekend and I was the only one who had their rule book and case book. Even the UIC didn't have one. I've landed in Umpire Purgatory. Fortunately, the coaches have no clue either.

Had a coach question me this weekend, gave him my answer, he went back to dugout. After game he came to me and said he was testing me because he had never seen me. Said I was the only one who answered his question correctly. It had to do with DP/FLEX.

Manny A Tue May 30, 2017 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1006279)
I would love to know why anyone, ever, would believe this to be a foul ball

Those same people are the ones who believe hands are part of the bat, batters cannot switch batter's boxes after two strikes, batter-runners have to turn right after overrunning first base, the ball is dead on a foul tip, etc. etc. It is just one of the many myths that have been around for time immemorial.