View Single Post
Old Tue May 30, 2017, 07:31am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy View Post
I was in C, working with a 1st year umpire. Partner rules a batted ball close to plate as a foul ball. Offensive coaches go ballistic and my partner comes out to talk to me. He says catcher picked it up while it was on the plate. So, I told him that would be a fair ball, but you've already called it foul. So, he says he understands, walks back to the plate, and all of a sudden reverses his call to fair.
Sounds like you may have forgotten to tell him that he cannot change the call from foul to fair, and to just eat it. That was a critical piece of information he needed to know before you guys broke up.

Since he was a newbie, I would've approached the DC and him as the "discussion" took place, and hope he gets a clue that I'm standing there to encourage him to get me involved. Then, I would let him know that a fair ball that was ruled foul cannot be changed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker