The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwally View Post
How can you "jump ahead" when doing so is going to put you in between the ball and a possible throw to 2B?

This woudn"t happen. Do you think I"m talking about cutting in front of 2nd base? I'm not. I can only suppose that I'm not giving a good explanation of what I mean as I'm surprised that your'e not visualizing the mechanic. I guess my question to you would be this. How have you, in the past, covered 3rd base as the BU when the PU for one of several very good reasons couldnt get there?
Long distance
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

I agree its a longer distance. How have you negotiated that in the past when it became apparent that your plate umpire wasn't going to get there?
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree its a longer distance. How have you negotiated that in the past when it became apparent that your plate umpire wasn't going to get there?
Head toward PP, but still not getting the preferred angle a PU would have and still far away.

I'm not saying the BU should just discount and cede all calls to PU, but that the PU is closer, will have a better angle and a clearer path and range of vision. Enough so it should be the routine, not the exception
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

The pitching plate? Now i see why you think there is a chance to get hit with the ball. The initial reaction on a steal of 2nd base from the B position is to break towards 2nd base, parallel to the base line. Why would you then head towards the PP? I,m not sure if that is even possible without impeding the runner or letting her pass and then lag hopelessly behind her.

Last edited by bigwally; Wed May 24, 2017 at 09:41am.
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Is this really disagreeing about alertness, agility and speed; rather than mechanics and teamwork?
Old Wed May 24, 2017, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Well, I will be 68 years old soon so i'm not that agile nor am I that speedy yet I have no problem getting to a credible calling position on this play as the BU. For the sake of argument lets say the responsibility of this play falls entirely on the PU. We can all agree that, at times the PU just isn't going to be able to get there. As the BU I'm breaking towards 2nd base parallel to the base line as soon as i read steal. On a passed ball I'ts easy to recognize that there will be no play at 2nd base and I may have to get to third. Since my momentum is going that way anyway I simply loop around 2nd base and continue on to 3rd base. Its really not difficult . I'm curious why this mechanic of getting to 3rd base on this play is foreign to experienced umpires or at least some of them. I'm sure as the BU you have had to get there at one time or another. Let me ask you Cecil, or others that would like to respond, how have you gotten to 3rd base on this play in the past when the PU couldn't get to third base due to one of several good reasons?

Last edited by bigwally; Wed May 24, 2017 at 12:37pm.
Old Thu May 25, 2017, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The pitching plate? Now i see why you think there is a chance to get hit with the ball. The initial reaction on a steal of 2nd base from the B position is to break towards 2nd base, parallel to the base line. Why would you then head towards the PP? I,m not sure if that is even possible without impeding the runner or letting her pass and then lag hopelessly behind her.
Because otherwise, the only view one is going to get from behind or coming from behind second base is that of the ass of the runner heading to third.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu May 25, 2017 at 09:54am.
Old Thu May 25, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Well it sounds like your convinced of that and I'm convinced otherwise so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I have to tell you that I always respect your opinion and consider you a valuable source for correct interpretations on whatever topic comes up on this site. Disagreement makes for good debate. We are on opposite sides with this one. Thanks for the talk

Last edited by bigwally; Thu May 25, 2017 at 10:50am.