The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Worked an 18U JO Gold tourney this weekend. All in all had a good time. For several teams it was the first action they had seen since Nationals, so everyone seemed to be ready to play and have a good time.

Anyway...yesterday I was working the loser's bracket and found myself in a tight game (3-3) with only about 20 minutes left. Pitcher threw 4 pitches just off the plate hoping for a strike call, and didn't get it. I heard the usual grunts and groans from the coaches in the defensive dugout. About that time head coach calls time and gathers the girls together around the pitcher. After a brief discussion with them, he heads back to the dugout via me. When he gets to me he asks where those pitches were missing, and I told him that they were all outside. He replies, "Come on Blue. The plate ain't round. You gotta give us the corners or we are gonna get killed." After admonishing him that my strike zone was no longer to be the topic of conversation he walks away.

As the girls break up from their huddle, the catcher returns after giving her pitcher a pep talk. As she is picking up her helmet, she looks at me and says, and I quote, "I don't know what he is *****ing about. Everyone of those pitches were outside. I hate it when he does that!" It was all that I could do to keep from doubling over with laughter right then and there.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

another tale

Working the plate on a 12U tournament game lst year. The catcher would set up outsite, where the pitcher would place the ball a good 6 inches off the plate. Even thought the catcher wold not move her glove to catch, I would call ball. The catcher would them move the glove in to the corner where the pitcher would get a strike. The pitching/catching combo was extremely good for this age. When the ball was off the corner, it would be a ball. The pitcher's dad was going nuts in the stands. He was screaming "Jesus Christ ump, the glove never moved. What does she have to do for a strike?" He did this for 90 minutes. Well, after one pitcher/catcher conference, I handed the catcher her mask when as she returned to the plate. She smiled and said "thanks". Her dad hollered, "thats it ______, give him a smile. Maybe he will give us a strike." I looked at her and rolled my eyes. After putting her mask on, she says "don't worry about him. He has no idea of what goes on behind the plate." Gave me a good laugh.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Here we do hs fp in the fall. Last night had one of my favorite catchers. In the 6th inning coach comes by and says "You missed on blue" I said "I don't think so ask you catcher". Coach said "No need to do that she always agrees with you". I just smile and say "play ball".
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Without even seeing her, I know she's a good catcher.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

I was doing a D2 college fall game. I called a ball on a marginal inside on the knees. I asked the catcher after the batter was done "Did I miss one there catch?" She said "no that was a little low, you got it right." I normally don't say anything like that to catchers but the atmosphere was right to do so.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
I was doing a D2 college fall game. I called a ball on a marginal inside on the knees. I asked the catcher after the batter was done "Did I miss one there catch?" She said "no that was a little low, you got it right." I normally don't say anything like that to catchers but the atmosphere was right to do so.
Rachel,
Every now & then I will ask a catcher the same thing - but only if the batter has made an out and nobody scored. If somebody scored on the play or the batter got a hit, I do not want to give the catcher an opportunity to say anything at all about that being my fault - protecting both the catcher and me.

Steve M
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
Rachel,
Every now & then I will ask a catcher the same thing - but only if the batter has made an out and nobody scored. If somebody scored on the play or the batter got a hit, I do not want to give the catcher an opportunity to say anything at all about that being my fault - protecting both the catcher and me.

Steve M
If the batter got a hit, you had no call to make.

Two innings after you ask the catcher about a pitch, you call ball four to force in a run. "That one you missed, blue". Don't leave yourself open.

Bob