View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 22, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Worked an 18U JO Gold tourney this weekend. All in all had a good time. For several teams it was the first action they had seen since Nationals, so everyone seemed to be ready to play and have a good time.

Anyway...yesterday I was working the loser's bracket and found myself in a tight game (3-3) with only about 20 minutes left. Pitcher threw 4 pitches just off the plate hoping for a strike call, and didn't get it. I heard the usual grunts and groans from the coaches in the defensive dugout. About that time head coach calls time and gathers the girls together around the pitcher. After a brief discussion with them, he heads back to the dugout via me. When he gets to me he asks where those pitches were missing, and I told him that they were all outside. He replies, "Come on Blue. The plate ain't round. You gotta give us the corners or we are gonna get killed." After admonishing him that my strike zone was no longer to be the topic of conversation he walks away.

As the girls break up from their huddle, the catcher returns after giving her pitcher a pep talk. As she is picking up her helmet, she looks at me and says, and I quote, "I don't know what he is *****ing about. Everyone of those pitches were outside. I hate it when he does that!" It was all that I could do to keep from doubling over with laughter right then and there.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.