View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 23, 2003, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

another tale

Working the plate on a 12U tournament game lst year. The catcher would set up outsite, where the pitcher would place the ball a good 6 inches off the plate. Even thought the catcher wold not move her glove to catch, I would call ball. The catcher would them move the glove in to the corner where the pitcher would get a strike. The pitching/catching combo was extremely good for this age. When the ball was off the corner, it would be a ball. The pitcher's dad was going nuts in the stands. He was screaming "Jesus Christ ump, the glove never moved. What does she have to do for a strike?" He did this for 90 minutes. Well, after one pitcher/catcher conference, I handed the catcher her mask when as she returned to the plate. She smiled and said "thanks". Her dad hollered, "thats it ______, give him a smile. Maybe he will give us a strike." I looked at her and rolled my eyes. After putting her mask on, she says "don't worry about him. He has no idea of what goes on behind the plate." Gave me a good laugh.