The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Interference by runner, delayed dead ball

I was working the plate on a game yesterday when this dandy happened.

R1 on 2nd, R2 on first, 2 outs. Batter hits a ground ball towards F6. R1 runs in the baseline towards third and I see F6 jump backwards to avoid being run over. I see the umpire stick his left arm out as a delayed dead ball signal. WTH? F6 fields the ball and throws to first where she just misses getting the BR at first base. I am waiting for the coach to come out of the dugout when I hear, Interference, runner is out. Huh?

He had called a DDB on an interference by the runner (it clearly was interference) and allowed the play to continue. This was the third out and we had a little talk about it after the play. He had been told you need to keep the play going until the play is made at first base, because they could get two outs, one for interference and the out at first. I told him we need to kill interference immediately, he said ok and we moved on.

This was one of those JV DH's. One team had a pitcher that was so slow I think the ball stopped in mid-air a couple times on the way to the plate. She was getting lit up by the home teams bats. The home team was so unathletic though and so much better that was balls hit to the fence that resulted in singles. 21-6 and 17-2 later were walked out doing 6 innings of softball thinking these may be two of the worst teams I've seen. (Sadly, both have mercy ruled a conference opponent by more than 20 runs).
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do baseball, but could this mechanic come from there? I had a partner recently that signaled in the same way for a similar play. He comes from the baseball world (but also is a good softball ump). We didn't have a chance to talk after the game.
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
I don't do baseball, but could this mechanic come from there? I had a partner recently that signaled in the same way for a similar play. He comes from the baseball world (but also is a good softball ump). We didn't have a chance to talk after the game.
No, this is enforced the same way in baseball and softball.
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
He is a "good" softball ump who has not read the rules book? Interference is a dead ball. How would he not know this?
Old Wed May 25, 2016, 02:48pm
Never Stop Learning

Interference is a call that can be made by either umpire. As you stated (it clearly was interference) therefore you could have killed the play and ruled the interference and helped your partner.
Old Thu May 26, 2016, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Interference is a call that can be made by either umpire. As you stated (it clearly was interference) therefore you could have killed the play and ruled the interference and helped your partner.
If partner does nothing, then I would agree with your statement.

However, in this case, partner did give a DDB signal which would indicate to me that he had something and I'm not going to interject at that point. About all you can do is wait for the play to finish, then figure out and fix it, if needed, after.
Old Thu May 26, 2016, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If partner does nothing, then I would agree with your statement.

However, in this case, partner did give a DDB signal which would indicate to me that he had something and I'm not going to interject at that point. About all you can do is wait for the play to finish, then figure out and fix it, if needed, after.
I'm handling this the same way. If the partner makes a bonehead move, let him live with it, especially if it's correctable without a major impact on the game. The defensive coach is going to be looking for some sign that the BU has interference, even if it's the wrong signal. At that point, the misinterpretation is appealable/protestable, and thus correctable.

....And I am saying this as the guy who made a bonehead move on the bases last year. Andy was my partner.