View Single Post
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Interference by runner, delayed dead ball

I was working the plate on a game yesterday when this dandy happened.

R1 on 2nd, R2 on first, 2 outs. Batter hits a ground ball towards F6. R1 runs in the baseline towards third and I see F6 jump backwards to avoid being run over. I see the umpire stick his left arm out as a delayed dead ball signal. WTH? F6 fields the ball and throws to first where she just misses getting the BR at first base. I am waiting for the coach to come out of the dugout when I hear, Interference, runner is out. Huh?

He had called a DDB on an interference by the runner (it clearly was interference) and allowed the play to continue. This was the third out and we had a little talk about it after the play. He had been told you need to keep the play going until the play is made at first base, because they could get two outs, one for interference and the out at first. I told him we need to kill interference immediately, he said ok and we moved on.

This was one of those JV DH's. One team had a pitcher that was so slow I think the ball stopped in mid-air a couple times on the way to the plate. She was getting lit up by the home teams bats. The home team was so unathletic though and so much better that was balls hit to the fence that resulted in singles. 21-6 and 17-2 later were walked out doing 6 innings of softball thinking these may be two of the worst teams I've seen. (Sadly, both have mercy ruled a conference opponent by more than 20 runs).