The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Coach asking about strike zone

I had this today. Second game of a DH, I was the PU.

During the first inning, the visiting pitcher was getting a lot of pitches called balls that the dugout through should be strikes. Prior to the bottom of the second inning, the coach comes out and asks me to show her what the strike zone is because the pitches appear good from her angle.

How do you handle this. She is not arguing balls and strikes, but is questioning my judgment by asking me to show her the strike zone I am using.

What I did was explain to the coach that pitches were good height wise, but a lot of them were inside the batters box. I can't call a pitch that far inside a strike unless it is swung and missed. She told the pitcher to move over about 6 inches on the pitchers plate.

I didn't work, they were down 5-0 at the starting of the half inning, and it was 21-0 at the end of the half inning, this included a pitching change due to an injury to the pitcher that was acting up (line drive off the lower leg from game 1).
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 11:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I had this today. Second game of a DH, I was the PU.

During the first inning, the visiting pitcher was getting a lot of pitches called balls that the dugout through should be strikes. Prior to the bottom of the second inning, the coach comes out and asks me to show her what the strike zone is because the pitches appear good from her angle.

How do you handle this. She is not arguing balls and strikes, but is questioning my judgment by asking me to show her the strike zone I am using.

What I did was explain to the coach that pitches were good height wise, but a lot of them were inside the batters box. I can't call a pitch that far inside a strike unless it is swung and missed. She told the pitcher to move over about 6 inches on the pitchers plate.

I didn't work, they were down 5-0 at the starting of the half inning, and it was 21-0 at the end of the half inning, this included a pitching change due to an injury to the pitcher that was acting up (line drive off the lower leg from game 1).

Chapmaja:

The HC was most certainly arguing balls and strikes with you. Questioning an umpire's judgement in calling balls and strikes is arguing balls and strikes. The instant she asked you to what the strike zone was I would have shut her down with this: "Coach, we are not going to discuss balls and strikes today." If she wants to continue to discuss balls and strikes she can do it from the dugout and if she still wants to discuss balls and strikes she can do it from the bus or locker room.

I have found that informing the coach that we are not going to discuss balls and strikes stops any further nonsense from a coach in either baseball or softball. In 24 years of umpiring I have only had one coach (softball) not understand what I meant and ended up discussing balls and strikes with me from the bus.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 06, 2016, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I believe it is much more professional to say the book definition and then for good game management say " you were reacting to pitches that were [inside, outside, ...] whatever applies.

Similar last night, 3rd base coach claiming other pitcher was not joining hands. I explained that she was doing so all the way over by her left hip where he couldn't see it. He said "does that mean you are watching?" and I said yes. No more comments.
Old Fri May 06, 2016, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'd disagree that the coach was arguing. Don't want a lengthy discussion with her but simply telling her the balls are off the plate can put the issue to rest. She came out between innings. If she asked in a professional manner, I have no problem. Sometimes it can also educate the coach such as informing them that the zone is over the plate, not where the batter is standing in the back of the box, etc. If the coach is continually chirping from the dugout, that's a different situation. But a professional, brief discussion between innings, I have no problem.
Old Fri May 06, 2016, 09:57pm
High Five Master

If she asks me to show her the zone, no no. That's not ok. Or anything along the lines that is basically saying she thinks my zone is crap.

Tell her the pitches they are missing are inside and shut it down there.

Or, as soon as she asks just point to your nose and then to your toes and say "as long as it doesn't bounce twice, I'm getting home early"
Old Sat May 07, 2016, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
I'd disagree that the coach was arguing. Don't want a lengthy discussion with her but simply telling her the balls are off the plate can put the issue to rest. She came out between innings. If she asked in a professional manner, I have no problem. Sometimes it can also educate the coach such as informing them that the zone is over the plate, not where the batter is standing in the back of the box, etc. If the coach is continually chirping from the dugout, that's a different situation. But a professional, brief discussion between innings, I have no problem.
And, not where the catcher catches it, usually on a change-up.