The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

One more from last week

Ok, I kicked this one big time last week. (JV HS)

Here was the plays in question and what happened. The question is was my final ruling proper. (I'm BU).

Runners at first (R2) and second (R1) (less than 2 outs). Wild pitch gets away from the catch, and the runner at second advances to third, but the runner on first does not attempt to advance.

On the next pitch, B3 lays down a bunt towards first. Everyone on both teams starts screaming, and we have a close play at first base, with B3 being called safe. After the noise dies down, I hear by PU calling a dead ball. He comes out and indicates the batter was out of the box when she laid down the bunt, so she is out. In this case, the ball is dead immediately upon the infraction, and the base runners goes back to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. I send R2 back to first and send R1 back to second (which was not correct). Another pitch is thrown and I realize my mistake, at the same time the OC is questioning from the dugout why she was moved back. I realized that based on my positioning for that play, I completely F'ed up. After confirming my mistake with my PU, I decide to put R1 back on third base which the base she had legally attained prior to my mistake. I go over and explain this to the DC, who is already not happy (they were down 10 runs by this point, all in that inning).

Was I correct in putting the runner back on the third base, even though a pitch had been thrown, or based on the pitch being thrown, has my mistake "stuck" her on second? I felt in the fairness of the game, the runner should not be penalized for my moment of stupidity.
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Here was the plays in question and what happened. The question is was my final ruling proper. (I'm BU).

Runners at first (R2) and second (R1) (less than 2 outs). Wild pitch gets away from the catch, and the runner at second advances to third, but the runner on first does not attempt to advance.

On the next pitch, B3 lays down a bunt towards first. Everyone on both teams starts screaming, and we have a close play at first base, with B3 being called safe. After the noise dies down, I hear by PU calling a dead ball. He comes out and indicates the batter was out of the box when she laid down the bunt, so she is out. In this case, the ball is dead immediately upon the infraction, and the base runners goes back to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. I send R2 back to first and send R1 back to second (which was not correct). Another pitch is thrown and I realize my mistake, at the same time the OC is questioning from the dugout why she was moved back. I realized that based on my positioning for that play, I completely F'ed up. After confirming my mistake with my PU, I decide to put R1 back on third base which the base she had legally attained prior to my mistake. I go over and explain this to the DC, who is already not happy (they were down 10 runs by this point, all in that inning).

Was I correct in putting the runner back on the third base, even though a pitch had been thrown, or based on the pitch being thrown, has my mistake "stuck" her on second? I felt in the fairness of the game, the runner should not be penalized for my moment of stupidity.
Sort of curious why the OC wouldn't question that when you sent her back instead of waiting until after the next pitch.
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Sort of curious why the OC wouldn't question that when you sent her back instead of waiting until after the next pitch.
As that pitch was delivered I heard the coach questioning her scorekeeper about it. The dugout was going to request time at the same time I realized I screwed up, after the pitch.

(The Head coach was actually restricted to the dugout by her school due to being very pregnant, so the base coaches were both assistants).
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As that pitch was delivered I heard the coach questioning her scorekeeper about it. The dugout was going to request time at the same time I realized I screwed up, after the pitch.

(The Head coach was actually restricted to the dugout by her school due to being very pregnant, so the base coaches were both assistants).
What the hell does being pregnant have to do with being restricted to the dugout? That being the case, I'm surprised they allowed her to even show up in such a high-stress position.
Old Wed May 04, 2016, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I like it and would have done exactly what you did....

I think the key here is that you realized it and fixed it consistent with 10-2-m (NFHS) which allows an umpire to fix a situation where a call was reversed and a team was put in jeopardy.

Upon further reading (10-2-i NOTE), if you hadn't picked it up and the coach questioned it (protest) after the next pitch, it may be too late. This, of course, is dependent on whether your state HS association allows for protests. I'd probably still fix it, though.