View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Ok, I kicked this one big time last week. (JV HS)

Here was the plays in question and what happened. The question is was my final ruling proper. (I'm BU).

Runners at first (R2) and second (R1) (less than 2 outs). Wild pitch gets away from the catch, and the runner at second advances to third, but the runner on first does not attempt to advance.

On the next pitch, B3 lays down a bunt towards first. Everyone on both teams starts screaming, and we have a close play at first base, with B3 being called safe. After the noise dies down, I hear by PU calling a dead ball. He comes out and indicates the batter was out of the box when she laid down the bunt, so she is out. In this case, the ball is dead immediately upon the infraction, and the base runners goes back to the bases occupied at the time of the pitch. I send R2 back to first and send R1 back to second (which was not correct). Another pitch is thrown and I realize my mistake, at the same time the OC is questioning from the dugout why she was moved back. I realized that based on my positioning for that play, I completely F'ed up. After confirming my mistake with my PU, I decide to put R1 back on third base which the base she had legally attained prior to my mistake. I go over and explain this to the DC, who is already not happy (they were down 10 runs by this point, all in that inning).

Was I correct in putting the runner back on the third base, even though a pitch had been thrown, or based on the pitch being thrown, has my mistake "stuck" her on second? I felt in the fairness of the game, the runner should not be penalized for my moment of stupidity.
Sort of curious why the OC wouldn't question that when you sent her back instead of waiting until after the next pitch.