The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Lineup card and health issue

I had the following today (HS JV - NFHS rules)

Team has 11 players total, they are using the DP Flex so they only have 1 sub.

Player 9 is the Flex, and starts pitching. #13 starts at 1b, and #6 is the lone substitute.

In the third inning the coach informs me that Player #13 will be moving from 1b to pitch, player #9 will be going to RF, and whoever was in RF will be going to 1b. I make note of the position change for the player moving to the pitchers position (even though this is not a required change on the card, I keep track of the pitcher and catcher positions for CR purposes)

In the fourth inning the coach informs me she is subbing player 6 in for player #9. I make the change and now player #6 is in the Flex position playing RF.

In the bottom of the fifth inning #13 starts out as the pitcher. After a couple several batters the bases are loaded when she throws a wild pitch. The runners all advance. I look over and the pitcher is over at the dugout when the coach asks for time (all play had ceased, but the ball isn't in the circle and the catcher is holding the ball standing at the plate.)

I grant the time request and the pitcher immediately goes in and sits down. The coach comes over and tells me she wants to put #9 in for #13 in the pitchers position. I start to explain that this would not be legal because #13 is already in the lineup (#5 position in the B.O.) as was #9 (#10 as Flex). #9 can't go in for #13. I look over and realize that #13 is having a medical issue. The coach explains that she is starting to have diabetic issues (which explains her sudden wildness after being pretty consistent the first 4 innings pitching).

What options does the team have in order to bring #9 back in to pitch? Would she then have to sub #9 back in for #6, then put the DP in to play defense for #13 and have both the DP and the Flex playing defense at the same time?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 01:31am
Never Stop Learning

Only player #9 can come back in for is #6 who is the flex. They now can play defense with 9 DP and Flex both playing defense, but will have to play shorthanded on offense and take an out in #13 spot in the batting order.