The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

From yesterday JV

Had this one yesterday. Top 5th, home team ahead, time limit reached. We have a base hit which drives in V13 from 2nd base. As she is picking up the bat, I see a problem. The on deck batter is also V13. As soon as play stops I look at my lineup card I see that there is a V3 and a V13. I approach the coach who says, V3 is really V13 as there is a small pen mark in front of the 3. Now we have an issue of 2 V13's on the lineup card.

I also notice that the V13 who scored is listed as a substitute, but she was never reported to me. The V13 coming to bat was a starter (catcher).

What the heck do you do in this situation?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Had this one yesterday. Top 5th, home team ahead, time limit reached. We have a base hit which drives in V13 from 2nd base. As she is picking up the bat, I see a problem. The on deck batter is also V13. As soon as play stops I look at my lineup card I see that there is a V3 and a V13. I approach the coach who says, V3 is really V13 as there is a small pen mark in front of the 3. Now we have an issue of 2 V13's on the lineup card.

I also notice that the V13 who scored is listed as a substitute, but she was never reported to me. The V13 coming to bat was a starter (catcher).

What the heck do you do in this situation?
If V13 was a substitute that was never reported, how did she get on your line-up card?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If V13 was a substitute that was never reported, how did she get on your line-up card?
She was still listed on the substitutes portion of the lineup card.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

This was just one of many problems we had with this team. During the first game of the DH they had 17 players on the roster. The second had 14. When I asked before the second game (preventative umpiring) why there were fewer, the coach told me he forgot to cross of the 2 ineligible and 1 injured player.

The pitchers circle was improperly marked 8 foot diameter at best. There was running lane on the first base line. The first base line had more curves than a scenic mountain road. The coaches boxes were about 18 inches on each side. There was no on deck circle. The coach still didn't know the hit by pitch rule ( she still has to try to avoid being hit on a ball that hits her while she is almost out of the batters box away from the plate). They also lost 19-0 in game 1. During game 1 the coach reported a substitution to my partner for two player numbers that don't exist.

The funny thing is the visit coach had been the coach at the host school until this season.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If anything:
- deal with the unreported sub first
- then get a change of number for one of the unlucky 13's

Had you removed the incorrect circle to start?
On deck circle, just apply the 30 ft rule.
Lines in general can be ignored to use the correct places and limits.
Fair/foul line, play the line where ever it is, line of sight after it ends.

NFHS needs to fix " she still has to try to avoid being hit on a ball that hits her while she is almost out of the batters box away from the plate"

Coaches need to stop worrying about listing players that are absent, just about who plays.

Ok, I need a break now.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If anything:
- deal with the unreported sub first
- then get a change of number for one of the unlucky 13's

Had you removed the incorrect circle to start?
On deck circle, just apply the 30 ft rule.
Lines in general can be ignored to use the correct places and limits.
Fair/foul line, play the line where ever it is, line of sight after it ends.

NFHS needs to fix " she still has to try to avoid being hit on a ball that hits her while she is almost out of the batters box away from the plate"

Coaches need to stop worrying about listing players that are absent, just about who plays.

Ok, I need a break now.

So in this case we deal with the unreported substitution first (Team warning), then deal with the duplicate numbers (Also a Team Warning, plus one of them needs to change numbers).

As for the circle, yes we sort of blurred it out and drew an approximate marking in the dirt to indicate where the circle should be. Due to the incorrect markings, the coaches agreed to not push the issue with the look back rule (no leaving when the pitcher had the ball near where the circle should have been).

As for the other lines, we just told the coaches it would be our judgment. The field had enough space to allow the on deck batter to warm up away from the batters without issue. We played the first base line as it was laid down which would have created the odd situation of a ball possibly being outside first base, but hitting the line, which thankfully never happened.

I don't know what the NFHS needs to fix. 8-1-2 is pretty clear. What needs to be fixed is coaches not knowing the rule. The rule is clear, if the ball is entirely in the box it's a hit by pitch unless she intentionally tries to get hit (which is different than letting the ball hit her).