The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 09:21pm
High Five Master

Dropped third......

Here's a new one for me. Nobody on, two down. 1-2 count, which I announced and coach even noted to batter "two on ya, protect". Batter swings and misses. Coaches yelling "run run run" and"tag her tag her". Neither of which happens. Batter runner stays in box and catcher throws ball back to pitcher. Everyone is just kind of standing around at this point.

Now, I've not researched to back up the call I made but I waited probably 15 seconds, standing there with mask in hand and finally said "she gave up her opportunity to run, Batters out"

Ideas on any other way to have done it? It was small schools but still a varsity game, I can't figure out why somebody (ANYBODY) didn't know what to do.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would say "that was strike three" and see what happens, she will either run or head to the dugout. Technically the batter is not out until they enter dead ball territory so your call was not by rule correct.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2016, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm treating that about the same as a ball pitched and hit fair after "illegal pitch" is called, and no one reacts. Do not allow another pitch, do not call time, do not make any ruling. It a live ball, and someone needs to make a play for the status to change.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 08:34am
High Five Master

Dropped third......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
I would say "that was strike three" and see what happens, she will either run or head to the dugout. Technically the batter is not out until they enter dead ball territory so your call was not by rule correct.

Of course I know that but what's a guy to do? Batter was taking a batting stance and pitcher appeared ready to throw another pitch.......I knew it wasn't really supported by rule but couldn't think of anything else to do at the time. But I will use your suggestion of stating (loudly) "that was strike three". Hopefully that would get the action moving.

It was a very strange moment. Literally the only people who knew what was going on were me and my partner. And it's not like it was a mystery. She swung big time and the count had been announced and was in the board. Very odd.

Last edited by BlueDevilRef; Wed Apr 13, 2016 at 08:37am.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Of course I know that but what's a guy to do? .

Say "Strike Three". Stand off to the side watching. Not like the inning was over, but as in watching a play.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Say "Strike Three". Stand off to the side watching. Not like the inning was over, but as in watching a play.
^^^This....

Standing off to the side along the third base line with your mask off will eventually allow somebody to figure out that there is still a play in progress.

I can't say I have ever had this happen with a D3K, but I have had it plenty of time when I have called Ball 4 and the batter stays in the box.

If it's a timed game...even better...
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 10:16am
High Five Master

It wasn't a timed game. And in 12+ years of varsity softball, it was a first for me. I was remiss in not announcing "strike three" but that won't happen again. Another tool in the belt now.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

This brings to mind that the LBR is not in effect until BR reaches 1B.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
It wasn't a timed game. And in 12+ years of varsity softball, it was a first for me. I was remiss in not announcing "strike three" but that won't happen again. Another tool in the belt now.
I and I'm sure others have had first timers long after 12 years. I remember two in my 26th year.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

This is why I always say strike 3 no matter if it's a called 3rd or a swinging strike. I only say batters out if it's a caught third strike or if the batter has no legal ability to advance (1St occupied with less than 2 out).
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 12:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
This is why I always say strike 3 no matter if it's a called 3rd or a swinging strike. I only say batters out if it's a caught third strike or if the batter has no legal ability to advance (1St occupied with less than 2 out).

What you do is what all umpires should do no matter if it is softball or baseball.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I believe it is disapproved to announce any swinging strike, unless checked, including strike three. Unless of course an U3K needs a "batter out".
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 07:51pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I believe it is disapproved to announce any swinging strike, unless checked, including strike three. Unless of course an U3K needs a "batter out".

As I'm fond of saying (I stole it from a movie), "she swung, no need to celebrate it"
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
^^^This....

Standing off to the side along the third base line with your mask off will eventually allow somebody to figure out that there is still a play in progress.

I can't say I have ever had this happen with a D3K, but I have had it plenty of time when I have called Ball 4 and the batter stays in the box.

If it's a timed game...even better...
Had this happen Thursday this week in a HS varsity game, Andy. Batter swings at a ball low and in the dirt for strike 3. I signal with the hammer and say "Three" as well as give the safe-sign indicating a D3K (NCAA mechanic, oops!). The batter-runner takes off for 1B, and F2 throws down to F3. F3 is nowhere near the bag, and she continues taking the ball around the horn.

The BR reaches 1B, overruns.....and jogs to the dugout. I stood and watched. Nobody on either team says anything. The ball is still going around when the BR enters the dugout. I called a dead ball, pointed at the dugout, and said "The batter is out."

Do coaches teach the runners to run on all third strikes, rather than teach them why?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Had this happen Thursday this week in a HS varsity game, Andy. Batter swings at a ball low and in the dirt for strike 3. I signal with the hammer and say "Three" as well as give the safe-sign indicating a D3K (NCAA mechanic, oops!). The batter-runner takes off for 1B, and F2 throws down to F3. F3 is nowhere near the bag, and she continues taking the ball around the horn.

The BR reaches 1B, overruns.....and jogs to the dugout. I stood and watched. Nobody on either team says anything. The ball is still going around when the BR enters the dugout. I called a dead ball, pointed at the dugout, and said "The batter is out."

Do coaches teach the runners to run on all third strikes, rather than teach them why?
Why dead ball?