The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
base umpire positioning

About base umpire positioning, two umpire system.

The manuals and clinics say just off the shoulder of the fielder, 2 -3 steps back, shading toward lead runner.

Fielders do play shallow or deep, and left or right of good umpire calling positions.
e.g., F4 playing very deep and ¾ of the way to 2nd,
or F6 playing even deeper, 10-15 feet from 2nd base to HP/center line

How much positioning leeway do you believe or teach or allow?
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 01:14pm
High Five Master

Best way I was ever taught and have used to teach others: from both B slot and C slot, line yourself up behind the baseline with the pitchers plate. It is almost exactly halfway so you can get to base behind for a throwback or base ahead for a steal or force play. If you use this as your home position when in these spots, it helps you not get beat and helps prevent you cheating one way or other
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Do not allow the fielder to move you out of position. Within reason, if the fielder is playing deep you cannot play in front of her because that is the best position.

What if the defense put on a shift and with a runner on 1st they move the 2nd baseman between 2nd and 3rd. Would you go with her?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
What if the defense put on a shift and with a runner on 1st they move the 2nd baseman between 2nd and 3rd. Would you go with her?
Of course not. The mechanic is about a fielder on the side we are on.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

It is my understanding that the "2-3 steps off the shoulder" is where F6 would "normally" play.

If F6 is playing in, or shifted left or right, this would have no bearing on your position. You want to maintain a consistent position.

If F6 is playing deep, you may drop back a bit, but then maybe not. . .using the "straight line theory" (at least I think that is the right term).

Straight Line Theory: imagine a straight line between F6 and F4 (or any two adjacent players for that matter). If you are behind that line, you are considered to be behind both players, even though you may be closer to home plate than one of those players.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
It is my understanding that the "2-3 steps off the shoulder" is where F6 would "normally" play.

If F6 is playing in, or shifted left or right, this would have no bearing on your position. You want to maintain a consistent position.
No, it is off the fielder, not a general position.

Quote:

If F6 is playing deep, you may drop back a bit, but then maybe not. . .using the "straight line theory" (at least I think that is the right term)

Straight Line Theory: imagine a straight line between F6 and F4 (or any two adjacent players for that matter). If you are behind that line, you are considered to be behind both players, even though you may be closer to home plate than one of those players.
This should be used only if extremely deep, not just a step or two back. You will see that more in SP than in the FP game.

As an umpire, I want to be close to a fielder. Try to avoid a position in the hole, if possible. If you are, you become a target for the batter and that is something you do not want, especially in the SP game. This is more workable up the middle.

The reason you want to be close to a fielder is to avoid them when s/he reacts to a batted ball. Like a PU and a catcher, when the fielder moves back for a ball, you swing one way or the other depending on the direction of fielder and s/he is by you in the first step.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...The reason you want to be close to a fielder is to avoid them when s/he reacts they react to a batted ball. Like a PU and a catcher, when the fielder moves back for a ball, you swing one way or the other depending on the direction of fielder and s/he is they are by you in the first step.
You're slipping, Mike!
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You're slipping, Mike!
He IS slipping. I m concerned that his advanced age is catching up to him....
Old Tue Jan 19, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

At least HE addressed the question!
Maybe because he is instinctively an evaluator and teacher.
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

It's stupid to use terms like "off the shoulder." Use a distance between the bases as a guide and a distance behind the fielder.

Does every mechanic need an asterisk that reads, "Obviously, if a player is in your way, don't be an idiot; find another nearby reasonable place to set up?"
Old Wed Jan 20, 2016, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
It's stupid to use terms like "off the shoulder."
Not really, unless it is the type of umpire who needs an asterisk as noted below.

Quote:
Use a distance between the bases as a guide and a distance behind the fielder.

Does every mechanic need an asterisk that reads, "Obviously, if a player is in your way, don't be an idiot; find another nearby reasonable place to set up?"
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 04:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not really, unless it is the type of umpire who needs an asterisk as noted below.
It's better to use constant references than it is variables. That's all.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
It's better to use constant references than it is variables. That's all.
Disagree. The entire game is based on variables and the umpire must adjust to the fielders, not the other way around. And for the reasons posted earlier, I would always keep the umpire near a fielder when possible.

As a batter, I loved it when the umpire would position him/herself in a hole. I would use that umpire as a target and try to put the ball right in his/her face and hope s/he would get out of the way as I knew that would be a base hit.
Old Fri Jan 22, 2016, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a batter, I loved it when the umpire would position him/herself in a hole. I would use that umpire as a target and try to put the ball right in his/her face and hope s/he would get out of the way as I knew that would be a base hit.
Mad skills, man.
Old Sat Jan 23, 2016, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Mad skills, man.
Didn't say I was good at it