The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

My First Forfeit

Had an interesting "game" this weekend. Was expecting to work fall ball for a local junior college, but due to the way the scheduling worked out, it was actually two 18U club teams playing under NCAA rules. Game #1 got chippy with players sliding hard resulting in some pushing, and some jawing between F1 and a hit batter. Both teams were warned that no further unsportsmanlike behavior would be tolerated.

In game #2 of a DH, base umpire teebob21 ejected Visiting Team Head Coach for unsporting conduct in the top of the first inning. At the time of the ejection, the score was 0-0.

Leadoff BR1 collided with F3 near 1B after an errant throw. After the collision, Visiting Team Assistant Coach complained that the play was dirty to teebob21. The comment was acknowledged and ignored. Head Coach came from the 3B coaching box to attend to the injured player, BR1. Assistant Coach again complained that the play was dirty. Head Coach said to BR and AC, "Don't worry, we'll get payback soon."

Visiting Team Head Coach was ejected. His response: "Runs!! I meant we'll pay them back with runs!" I told him I didn't care, and he had to go. My partner walked him to the gate. Head Coach pulled his team off the field and forfeited.

Game 2 lasted no more than three minutes. I hope we get paid.

Last edited by teebob21; Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 06:01pm. Reason: Visitors bat first, not home team.
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Had an interesting "game" this weekend. Was expecting to work fall ball for a local junior college, but due to the way the scheduling worked out, it was actually two 18U club teams playing under NCAA rules. Game #1 got chippy with players sliding hard resulting in some pushing, and some jawing between F1 and a hit batter. Both teams were warned that no further unsportsmanlike behavior would be tolerated.

In game #2 of a DH, base umpire teebob21 ejected Visiting Team Head Coach for unsporting conduct in the top of the first inning. At the time of the ejection, the score was 0-0.

Leadoff BR1 collided with F3 near 1B after an errant throw. After the collision, Visiting Team Assistant Coach complained that the play was dirty to teebob21. The comment was acknowledged and ignored. Head Coach came from the 3B coaching box to attend to the injured player, BR1. Assistant Coach again complained that the play was dirty. Head Coach said to BR and AC, "Don't worry, we'll get payback soon."

Visiting Team Head Coach was ejected. His response: "Runs!! I meant we'll pay them back with runs!" I told him I didn't care, and he had to go. My partner walked him to the gate. Head Coach pulled his team off the field and forfeited.

Game 2 lasted no more than three minutes. I hope we get paid.
Coaches an players always have an excuse, even for stupidity.

Don't know if I would have tossed the coach for such a simple statement, but definitely get a nice lecture
Old Tue Nov 17, 2015, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Coaches an players always have an excuse, even for stupidity.

Don't know if I would have tossed the coach for such a simple statement, but definitely get a nice lecture
He got the lecture in the first game. AND the pre-game meeting. My tolerance for planned "payback" is damned low.
Edit to add: Maybe it was a quick hook, but I'm not willing to work a game with a coach that's made clear his intentions like that. Turns out, I didn't have to.

Last edited by teebob21; Tue Nov 17, 2015 at 04:09pm.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2015, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
He got the lecture in the first game. AND the pre-game meeting. My tolerance for planned "payback" is damned low.
Edit to add: Maybe it was a quick hook, but I'm not willing to work a game with a coach that's made clear his intentions like that. Turns out, I didn't have to.
My lecture usually includes waiting for the police to take my statement and making sure I am available to testify in any criminal case or civil suit which may occur.
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

That TeeBob guy seems like trouble....
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
My lecture usually includes waiting for the police to take my statement and making sure I am available to testify in any criminal case or civil suit which may occur.
Ah - now I see where you're going with that. I like it.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Had this in a 12U or 14U trny a few weeks ago: I am PU, left hand batter, R1 on 1st, low & inside pitch, catcher slides left to block, R1 goes to 2nd, catcher gets up to throw & batter is standing in the box just watching, catcher doesn't throw, looks at her coach with her arms out, coach yells "c'mon blue, that's interference", I tell him "not so coach, batter was in the box, didn't interfere" ... then coach tells catcher "Hey Susie, next time just drill her in the head."

Me and the coach had a quiet, private conversation. He saw the light and ack'd he shouldn't have said that.

Last edited by 3afan; Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 08:53am.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
Had this in a 12U or 14U trny a few weeks ago: I am PU, left hand batter, R1 on 1st, low & inside pitch, catcher slides left to block, R1 goes to 2nd, catcher gets up to throw & batter is standing in the box just watching, catcher doesn't throw, looks at her coach with her arms out, coach yells "c'mon blue, that's interference", I tell him "not so coach, batter was in the box, didn't interfere" ... then coach tells catcher "Hey Susie, next time just drill her in the head."

Me and the coach had a quiet, private conversation. He saw the light and ack'd he shouldn't have said that.
Unfortunately, that type of remark from "coaches" about throws, INT, OBS, etc. happens fairly often and my "quiet, private" is more of a lecture with finality than a conversation.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Nov 19, 2015 at 05:37pm.