The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2015, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

PK Rule clarification please

This happened while watching my son's youth soccer game this weekend, and I have some questions (because I don't know the rules well enough)...

Situation
PK awarded to Team 'A'. Everyone outside the area, A1 lines up the ball, etc. The kick hits the crossbar, goes straight up in the air, then back down in the field of play. Before anyone else touches the ball (more on this in a moment), A1 kick the ball into the net. Referee signals 'Goal'. Team B coach goes ballistic saying A1 can't kick the ball until someone else touches it. Referee ignores him.

Questions
1) Is the coach correct (from what I've read in Rule 14 it seems so, but I want to make sure)?
2) Can the center official "ask for help" from the AR's if he's unsure of the rule or who played the ball?
3) Are the AR's allowed to tell the Center official what they saw even if not asked?

Full Disclosure
I did not pay attention to WHO took the kick and was blocked out on who actually took the shot that went into goal. I'm ASSUMING the coach is correct on what happened.

My son's team was 'B'.

The game ended in a tie (the goal after the PK made the tie)

This was a game for third place (so no affect on medals)

After the game, I heard B's coach tell his players (who were obviously griping but I couldn't hear them) "it happens sometimes".

I am trying to learn what should have happened and what could have happened (as far as an "officials conference").

Thank you.
Old Thu Mar 26, 2015, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Answers to your questions:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

This is what is known as a second-touch violation. On any free kick restart another player from either side must touch or be touched by the ball before the original kicker may touch it again. The penalty is an indirect free kick awarded to the opponent at the spot of the infraction.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, NevadaRef, for the concise, correct answers to the three posted questions. Hopefully, the crew recognized its error during their post-game meeting and took some time to talk about it. If not, perhaps there was another referee in the crowd that day who took it upon himself to contact the CR to share with him his observations. I know that if it were I who had blown such a call, and my crew did not mention it during the post-game show, but someone on the outside did catch my mistake, I would want that person to get in touch with me pronto to re-educate me. We can never be so arrogant as not to be willing to hear about and learn from our errors.