The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 08, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Here's a frequent issue, that I'd like to "kick" around a bit. ... When attackers are about to take a free kick, defenders typically position themselves less than 10 yards away. Do you call encroachment:
1) for positioning 7 - 9 yards away
2) for positioning 3 - 6 yards away
3) for positioning < 10 yards away and moving as the kicker approaches the ball
4) for positioning < 10 yards away and moving or jumping into the path of the ball without contact
5)for positioning 7 - 9 yards away when you judge that the defender altered the aim of the kick
6)for positioning 3 - 6 yards away when you judge that the defender altered the aim of the kick
7) for positioning 7 - 9 yards away and distracting the kicker
8) for positioning 3 - 6 yards away and distracting the kicker
9) only if the defender makes contact with the ball within 10 yards

By "calling encroachment", I mean issue a caution for unsporting behavior. I never delay the kick to move the defenders unless asked. For this discussion, exclude
- 'quick-kick' restarts before defenders can retire the 10 yards unless the defender takes action other than moving away (like 4,7,8,10).
- when attackers ask for 10 yards

[Edited by CecilOne on Aug 8th, 2003 at 12:16 PM]
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Let the offended team have the ability to take the quick kick. Do not involve yourself with the kick unless the spot of the kick is in question or you are specically asked by the offended team to do so. Allow the opponents to retreat from the free kick spot. The the quick kick is taken and the ball hits a retreating player...we have nothing...however, if while retreating, a player puts up and arm, leg, etc...to stop the ball while he is within 10Yrds of the kick spot...caution!
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

I believe Cecil's question is more complicated than that, 3sport. There is a play ruling about a defender who stands only 3 or 4 yards away and makes no attempt to move. The ruling is that if the kick strikes him, without him attempting to play the ball, it is a legal play. What is the difference between this and standing 3 inches away from the ball? At some point the offended team is being disadvantaged by the presence of this defender. Also we all know that these players stand there on purpose to gain a tactical advantage.
I handle it this way: no matter how close the defender is I do nothing until the attacking team asks. If they take a quick kick, without asking for ten, I make the proper ruling if the kick hits the defender who is too close based upon what his actions were. However, if the attackers are prevented from taking the kick quickly because of a defender's presence and have to ask me to move him back, I will caution the defender if he was not making an attempt to respect the proper distance. For me this means standing less than 6 yards away, and not moving backward. They certainly know that this is too close, so I consider it unsportmanlike behavior to purposely violate the rules.
Lastly, I should mention that I tell both teams this in the pregame. I tell them that they have to show each other proper respect and that if they don't make a legitimate effort to retreat from a free kick (I judge this to be at least 7 yards away) they will be carded. They don't give me any problems after this.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Aug 13th, 2003 at 04:46 AM]
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In
"There is a play ruling about a defender who stands only 3 or 4 yards away and makes no attempt to move. The ruling is that if the kick strikes him, without him attempting to play the ball, it is a legal play";
are you talking about just NFHS or USSF or both? I think some NFHS 13.3.1.B cases are wrong.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I was visualizing the attacking third or at least half, and as I said no request for 10 and no quick-kick.
I can agree with one warning for the less serious cases (1,3,4); although I don't see them as part of the game.

All of these are infringements by the book, the question is which are "trifling" and should not be called. I guess 9 yards is trifling, but I think the rest should be called because the offended team should have the full benefit within the rules.