The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Anyone care to explain this:
In the NFHS Soccer rules book there seems to be a direct conflict.
12-8-1 deals with misconduct and lists 7 instances (labelled a through g) when a player, coach, or bench personnel shall be cautioned. It then states in the penalty section which follows in bold that "An indirect free kick shall be awarded to the nonoffending team from the spot of the ball,..."
However,
13-2-2 states, "...Indirect free kicks are awarded and taken from the point of the infraction:" then it lists a-j, and for k,l,and m the kick is taken from "where the ball was when the referee stopped play"
OK, so here's the problem: look at 12-8-1c (dissent) and 13-2-2j.
If we have a player, who is far away from the ball, yell at/insult the referee during play and the game is stopped and the player cautioned, from where is the indirect free kick taken to restart play?
The first (12-8) says that the indirect free kick is taken from the spot of the ball, but the second (13-2) states that it should be from the spot of the infraction.
For what it is worth under USSF rules the kick is taken from the spot of the infraction.
Did the NFHS botch this?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Yes. There are other wording problems in these rules like any other. I tend to use the spot of the infraction for all violations. The other case is when you don't stop immediately, as for advantage, and then you use the spot of the ball when you actually stop because that restart takes precedence.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Cecil...

It doesn't matter what the rule book says, you use the ultimate rule in Soccer officiating..."Common Sense"

If you're going to book someone, you book them at an opportune time. The offending player knows why they're going there.

That's just my 1/50th of $1
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I have learned to simply wait until the next stoppage and then book the offender, but it would be nice if the NFHS wouldn't do such a sloppy job with the rules book.