Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Possession

The only point the keeper has both hands on the ball is when his teammate disposes him. At no point after that does the keeper hold the ball between his hands or between one hand and another object. The keeper is liable for challenge in this situation. I don't believe that either blue player touched the keeper. Certainly, I don't see a kick that rises to careless which means there can be no foul for kicking.

Eastshire maybe I just have a better connection. When I frame by frame advance between the beginning of the 1:04th second and the end of the 1:04th second there is a frame where the GK's team mate is long past his hands, the GK has his right hand on the ball at about 11 o'clock and his left hand on the side of the ball at about 3 o'clock. That is possession. After possession, there is contact on the GK's left hand by #7's right foot. It is not legal to challenge the GK in possession. To make the call of illegally challenging the GK in possession does not require a "reckless" decision, only a decision was the GK challenged in possession.

Look, there's the ability to apply the Laws and then there's good judgement. If you are only assessing ability to apply the laws, you are doing a huge disservice to those you are assessing. In one of the areas I used to work, there was a referee who could have quoted the LotG to you backwards. I'm sure he aced every test he ever took on the subject. He was also the absolute worst referee in the area because his judgement was horrible.

It's one thing to say you couldn't tell from where you were how the referee's judgement; it quite another to just accept the referee's judgement when the purpose of assessing is to see if his judgement is good in the first place.
You are unwilling to concede that there is a possibility of possession that you do not see. I on the other hand, when watching at full speed, am willing to concede that there may not have been possession. When I am assessing, I do not have this monitor and the ability to single frame advance a judgement sequence. However when assessing I can ask questions that will reveal to me the referee's level of knowledge and his ability, to be where he needs to be, to give himself the best opportunity, to apply that knowledge. Only when I can "clearly" see, with no "question" in my mind will I declare a referee's judgement to be wrong.

If you feel that is a disservice to "The Game" then I will just have to accept your rebuke. However I am very happy that I have been rarely exposed to an assessor or assessing instructor that is willing to definitively agree or disagree with a decision/opinion that is as ambiguous as this one.

Last edited by ref2coach; Wed Feb 22, 2012 at 05:38pm. Reason: add 2 :