View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 22, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Even if the keeper did somehow get both hands on it, which I don't see at all, why in the world would you stop play at that point? IMO the keeper loses possession without a touch from the opposing team until after the ball is away from the keeper. Beyond that, the CR is at the top of the area looking directly at the keeper during the play in question from no more than 15 yards away.
With the ability to stop the action during the 18th second, after the team mate is down near the GK legs and the ball can be seen in front of the blue player's left leg, it appears to me that the GK has contacted the ball with both hands. Based on the team name and the view of the matching tents on the sidelines at the beginning of the clip, the appearance of a second game on the adjoining filed, I am guessing that this is a USSF youth tournament. USSF in the ATR 12.16 tells us that the GK is in possession when holding the ball between both hands or between one hand and any other surface. That is the point in time that I believe play should be stopped.

Again regarding the CR's location. He stopped outside the PA in a spot that appears to leave him "straight lined". Had he gone wider and followed the play and blue #10 into the PA, he would have been closer to the play and had the play bracketed between himself and his AR. #7 Blue stepping through, is what contacts the GK hands, arms and causes the GK to loss contact with the ball, #19 then scores the goal. If you search "goal keeper possession" on the USSF askareferee website you will find Jim Allen speaking of even 1 finger on the ball and the ball in contact with the ground, post or person is to be ruled possession.

In real time with only 1 look do I get it right? I hope so but possibly not.