The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Would like an experienced, certified soccer official's opinion on this rule.
Rule 14 Penalty Kick: Art. 4: "Once the kicker starts his/her approach toward the ball, he/she may not interrupt his/her movement. Failure to kick the ball as specified shall result in a rekick"
The literal intrepretation is the mere act of a stutter step or not a clean, smooth movement to the ball will be a rekick, regardless of the outcome, i.e. goal or no goal (keeper stops or sails over the bar or wide).
In the situations section, page 67, 14.1.4.B. "A1 taking a penalty kick, approaches the ball and then stops abruptly. He/she then kicks the ball and scores. Ruling: Retake the kick."
It is silent on if he/she makes the stutter step, then kicks the ball and does not score (keeper stops or sails over the bar or wide). Question: in this case is there still a rekick or is this kicker's turn over and marked as a miss?
Thanks,
Jim
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I would apply Rule 18 here. The intent as I understand it of the rule regarding taking penalty kicks is to prevent the kicker from deceiving the keeper into beginning his lateral dive before finishing the kick in the opposite direction. So if he hitches with this intent then misses his kick he's done as far as I'm concerned.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

I would agree with Empearson. When I administer a pk I always make this rule very clear to the kicker. By doing this I hope to not even have to deal with what happens if the stutter. However, if I did have to deal with it, I would do the same at Empearson.

Erick
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by eh812
... snip ... When I administer a pk I always make this rule very clear to the kicker. By doing this I hope to not even have to deal with what happens if the stutter. ... snip ...
This sounds too much like coaching to me. Unless we are talking about very young players, the player chosen to do the kicking is expected to know the rule. All I say is "wait for the whistle" and if that only because the alternative consumes more time.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Coaching

I can see your point about coaching, let me explain further. I usually say, "Once you start your kick follow through, wait for my whitsle."

Short, sweet and to the point.

And Yes, I do ref a lot of younger games and that is where I developed this habit.
Old Tue May 20, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

If you get to do dual or triple system, you will also have to learn to say "the" whistle, because it's the lead's responsibility.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 14 Penalty Kick: Art. 4: "Once the kicker starts his/her approach toward the ball, he/she may not interrupt his/her movement. Failure to kick the ball as specified shall result in a rekick"
The literal intrepretation is the mere act of a stutter step or not a clean, smooth movement to the ball will be a rekick, regardless of the outcome, i.e. goal or no goal (keeper stops or sails over the bar or wide).
In the situations section, page 67, 14.1.4.B. "A1 taking a penalty kick, approaches the ball and then stops abruptly. He/she then kicks the ball and scores. Ruling: Retake the kick."
It is silent on if he/she makes the stutter step, then kicks the ball and does not score (keeper stops or sails over the bar or wide). Question: in this case is there still a rekick or is this kicker's turn over and marked as a miss?
Is this a modification of Law 14 from the competition you are involved in? A player who studdersteps, jukes, or self-obstructs his movements to the ball at the taking of a penalty kick is not infringing L14. However, it is widely accepted around the world that feinting at the taking of a P.K. shall not be allowed. In a normal situation when a player infringes the laws of the game at the taking of a penalty kick, the referee shall:
- allow the p.k. to proceed
- if the ball enters the goal, the kick shall be retaken
- if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is not to be retaken and play continues.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this a modification of Law 14 from the competition you are involved in? A player who studdersteps, jukes, or self-obstructs his movements to the ball at the taking of a penalty kick is not infringing L14. However, it is widely accepted around the world that feinting at the taking of a P.K. shall not be allowed. In a normal situation when a player infringes the laws of the game at the taking of a penalty kick, the referee shall:
- allow the p.k. to proceed
- if the ball enters the goal, the kick shall be retaken
- if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is not to be retaken and play continues.

If your competition has indeed modified the laws, then proceed with the rules they have provided.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
I've also seen instances where players will run up to the ball, take their backswing and not pull the trigger, then back up and line it up again. I wouldn't hesitate to pull out a caution for wasting time on that. As for a stutter step, can't you pull out a caution for deception on that too? If you were feeling in a giving mood.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

No, I wouldn't. But I would caution a player for going forward than stepping back to kick.
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Post Pentalty

I agree with top cat 5 players on each side go until there is a winner HAVE FUN
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

A rule is a rule (a standard or guide, a maxim or precept, a fixed course of action, per Webster's):

" Rule 14 Penalty Kick: Art. 4: "Once the kicker starts his/her approach toward the ball, he/she may not interrupt his/her movement. Failure to kick the ball as specified shall result in a rekick" "

[Edited by CecilOne on Jul 1st, 2003 at 02:26 PM]