The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Poor AR Mechanics

I moved this summer from a part of the state that used 3 man crews exclusively to a part of the state where nearly everything that isn't a huge school uses the dual system. Last few weeks when they have brought in a 3-man crew I've been amazed at the choices to go three whistles, and when they used flags, how poor the flag mechanics by AR's have been... flags in wrong hand, crossing the body, flags flapping loudly when running the touchline, not mirroring each other on substitutions, etc,...and guys not staying with the next to last defenders. Do most of you work 3-man or dual, and when you use 3-man is it usually 1 whistle and 2 flags or 3 whistles?
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The systems you refer to are dual, triple (aka double-dual) and diagonal. All take teaching and experience.
All will fail if the refs involve do not work conscientiously; or if one or more try to make a change look bad. Unfortunately, too many people are concerned about how many refs and ego instead of focusing on understanding the system.
All will succeed if the refs involved decide to make it so.
A major problem is those who look at high school officiating as second class and see everything in the light of USSF. Add to that those who can not or will not learn more than one system; alomost guaranteeing they will only do well in one.
In your examples, it seems teaching is lacking as well as experience. Most 3 ref crews end up working diagonal because of tradition, less mental effort if they work USSF, and the unproven theory that it is more effective.

For me the triple, misnamed double-dual, with three equal referees using whistles is clearly the most thorough field coverage, strongest presence to the players, most accurate calls, etc. Like dual, it suffers from those who think that only they can judge the game and they can cover the whole field. If we are all working with the same rules, and we all drop out ad-hoc rules and criteria; then two or three refs will call the game accurately, fairly and consistently. To say that two or three refs on the field are less consistent than one ref on the field and two assistants off the field who call fouls in their corner is baseless. That is saying that two refs on two different games are not consistent from game to game, resulting in anarchy, is also baseless.
The exception are the ego-driven refs who again, think they are the only ones who can be fair and accurate on any given game.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

AR Mechanics - part II

Yep, AR's need to work better on mechanics, and Yep, the best way to do that is to get involved in more and more contests. Sometimes it's easy, other times it's not.

This weekend I worked a tournament with a friend, my daughter, and his son. We rotated three in - one out each game. In one game, I had center, my daughter had the team side. Early in the game, a pass was made to the attacking team 35 yds out from the goal, I looked at my daugther for an offside call - nothing. The attacker scored as the defending team parents were screaming for an offside call. After the goal, I looked again at my daughter - she is sprinting toward the mid field. I run over to her and ask "what did you see?" She told me that the defense was running a trap, and didn't time it very well. I asked her "are you sure". "Yes".

I call a goal, put up with the howls and restart the game. Needless to say, from then on, we cannot get anything right in the eyes of the defending team. The coach is visably mad, but keeps under control. At half our fourth official confirms her account. The defending team looses 5-1. As he signs the game report, he tells me that this was the worst game he's ever seen offiated. I thank him and leave.

The next day I speak to the ref coordinator, tell him to expect a complaint. Sure enough, later, he comes over, and wants to watch a match. At half he explains that the center has to go deeper and wider, and that the AR's need to work on the sub signal better, but other than that we look OK to him. He then tell's my daughter about the realities of vocal coaches, the need to be sure of your calls, and the backup that will come form the center ref, and the tournament coordinator, and then tells both her and my friend's son, that he appreciates the effort they are giving.

Let's keep the youngsters coming back. Teach them, teach them, teach them..... and back them up.
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
A trite comment on an old TV show was "I love it when a plan comes together", but for this example I say "I love it when the refs stick together".

BTW, congrats on having 4 per game and a daughter to share life with.
Old Sat Oct 14, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Do most of you work 3-man or dual, and when you use 3-man is it usually 1 whistle and 2 flags or 3 whistles?
In Western PA, most games use dual. The only games that use three are those that the school's consider "big games" and the playoffs. I have never seen 1 whistle used, it is always 3.