The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Goalie "Rights"

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but I've been playing organized soccer for 14 years, and have a question. I used to play goalie a long time ago, and now am getting back to it, but when I was younger I remember my coach or someone telling me that the goalie is allowed to put one knee up when jumping up to grab the ball... it seems kinda harsh haha, but is that right?

Thanks!!
Old Mon Jul 03, 2006, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Depends. Yes, you can pull up one knee to help you get more height on a jump. Yes, you can do so to "protect" yourself. But you can't do so in an attempt to take someone out or gain anunfair advantage,
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

According to the Laws of the Game the goalkeeper has only two special rights.
1. He may play the ball with his hands inside his own penalty area.
2. He may NOT be charged by an opponent while he has possession of the ball.

Otherwise, by the book, he has no more and no less protection than any other player on the field.

That being said, most referees recognize that the goalkeeper is a unique position with a specialized skill set and that a team rarely has more than one player who can handle this job well. Therefore, referees tend to baby the goalkeepers somewhat by discouraging opponents from creating contact situations with them. There are many different techniques that individual referees use to accomplish this. You won't even be able to tell that the better ones are doing it.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
There is a fine line from bringing the knee up for defensive purposes compared to for offensive purposes. I am also a goalkeeper, and still play in a competitive men's league (minor leagues so-to-speak), so I am aware of what I can and can't do while in goal, but also from an officiating standpoint. Not to mention, if you've been around a while, the players become familiar with your techniques and style of reffing, so they know what they can and can't do when you are on the pitch as the referee. They should also know what you will and won't tolerate from a dissent perspective, too!!