The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
Does anyone have the answers (for the 100 queston T/F test)? I have a set but they seem a bit off....
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

RILAX,

the true answers are:
1 5 6 9 11 12 13 14 15 18 19 21 22 23 25 27 29 30 33 34 35 36 37 39 41 42 43 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 59 60 61 62 63 64 66 67 68 69 70 73 74 75 76 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 91 92 94 96 97 98 100

From the NFHS answer key

Which do you disagree with?
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Ok hear is what I have:

#7 : The penalty for fighting is a 3-minute full-time expulsion foul.

NFHS: F-However I see nothing wrong, only thing is that the “full-time” wording is not proper?

#12 A crosse without a guard stop is a broken stick and not illegal.

NFHS: T
Agree that is not illegal however the rule book only states that it should be removed until a stop is placed on the stick.

#19 A coach may request an equipment check at any time ….

NFHS : T
The rules say (4-29-1) “A head coach’s request for an equipment inspection… shall occur during a dead-ball situation. I would say False then.

#28 It is a slashing foul to strike an opponent with the crosse or stick on the back.

NFHS: F
Why is hitting an opponent in the back w/ ones crosse NOT a slash, I would say the statement is T.

#44 Goals must always be 80 yards apart.

NFHS: F
The diagram shows the goals 40 yards from the end line, 40+40=80. I see no rule like the NCAA one for altering the field any.

#46 The table area is 10 yards on each side of the midline.

FALSE it is 5 yards on each side, 5+5=10.

#65 A team may call a time-out when the ball is dead or when the team has possession of the ball anywhere on the field.
NFHS F

I say true, can’t see where that is an incorrect statement.

#77 During the course of the game, the handle of A1’s crosse becomes bent. The coach of team B asks for a stick check on A1. The officials agree that the stick is bent, and a three-minute, non-releasable penalty is assessed.
NFHS: false

True, a player can’t play with a stick which has an altered handle and having it bent is altering it.

#85 In a flag-down situation, the official shall withhold his whistle until a shot is taken that does not result in a goal.

False, one reason to stop play is a missed shoot, the are others.

#88 When a penalty occurs and the ball is in the offended team’s defensive half of the field, the ball is awarded at the center “x”.

I would say false. If there was a time serving foul or goalie interference w/ possession then yes move the ball to “x”. Otherwise no.

Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

I just compared my test results with the answer key.

7 19 44 46 77 were wrong on the key. This makes 7 44 77 true, 46 19 False.

As for you other questions:

12 Rule 1-7-4word for word.

28 Rule 5-3-4 there are exceptions.

65 Rule 4-28-1 2 English question. Only players on field or coach can call TO.

85 I agree with you. But they call it true.

88 You're right. Our test added the words "if penalty time served."

I actually got most of these wrong when I took the test in March.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info.
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Gentleman,

Just one comments on your postd. On question #77, you would only give the player a penatly if you feel he delibrately bended the cross to gain an advantage. For example, if Player A checks player B's cross and bends it with the check, then player A's coach could call for an equipment check of player B at the next stoppage. Because his cross is bent, if you apply the rule this way, then you would have to assess a penalty on player B. However, this is not how the rule is applied. If a player's equipment becomes illegal through the course of play, that player must leave the field and replace that equipment. If he fails to do so because he does not notice that his equipment has become illegal, officials can stop play to get it taken care of (if an injury could result from this illegal equipment.) If a player continues to play with illegal eqiupment and the officials are sure that the player is aware of this, then you can give him a penalty.

Old Thu May 22, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

You could only do this if you saw the crosse bend on the check. Then I would have the crosse removed before I let play continue or allow an equipment challenge. Once play continues beyond the check, he is playing with an illegal crosse.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

STEVED21,

I agree some what. Under some circumstances you have to take into account if the player is actually gaining an advantage from playing with a bent crosse. Take the goalie, for example. Most goalies bang the pipes with their crosse all game to find out where they are in the crease without actually taking their eyes off the ball. A would say most goaltenders crosses are bend beyond legality. However, we don't penalize them for this because it is not giving them an unfair advantage.

When it comes to a stick check on a player who has scored 5 goals in the first half, and his crosse is bent in a manner that allows him to gain an unfair advantage, and the cambered shaft is more then is allowed by rule, then yes, you would penalize this player. We don't just penalize every bend stick. As officials we have to use common sense. Some bends are intentional and other are not. If a player who hasn’t touched the ball all game has a crosse that is bent sideways, as referees, we should tell this player to bend it back, not give a penalty. The rule clearly states: "A crosse that has been altered in such a way as to give an advantage to an individual is illegal."

If we as officials don't know how the crosse got this way, then yes, we may have to penalize this player. But if I did an equipment check on player A at the end of the 1st quarter after he had scored 4 goals, and his stick was legal, and a coach from team B requests a check of player A in the 3 quarter after 2 more goals, and his stick is now bent, I'm going to do the following: 1) Did he do this deliberately to gain an advantage, 2) Did something else cause this (i.e. - defenders crashing down on him all day because he's scoring all the time.) We as officials shouldn't blindly enforce the rules; this is where judgment and experience come into play. You may disagree, and I don't have a problem with that, but this is just my opinion on the subject.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Rommel,

I agree with you 100%. My post was in response to the issue of the test answer. The test requires an answer that agrees with the rule book word for word. It does not allow for the common sense application of the rules. The situation would always be handled on a game to game basis given the facts of the game. But remember, the crosse does not even have to be in the game to be checked